Flashes of the life you once had

With one disaster after another, the crew of the Edward Deming are stretched thin after another incident places their friends and family in danger...Some will go to great lengths to achieve their goals, though others may not be so eager to make a Faustian bargain.
Lone_badass
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Flashes of the life you once had

Post by Lone_badass » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:05 am

Edward Deming, Gym, Frank's quarters
Late 3019

The light shined through the small gym while songs of Old Rock accompanied the lone occupant using one of the weight machines. The sound of clanking metal resonated through the room, however the man couldn't hear the noise because he was stuck in his memories.

‘How many times am I going to relive these memories?’ Frank thought to himself. Ethereal voices and shapes moved past him, ghosts of people he once knew were now nothing more than imprints on his mind. As he pumped iron, his mind drifted into a trance as the sound of clanking metal slowly gave way to the impact of rounds striking a barricade, the panicked voices of civilians, and a young Frank barking orders in defense. Not bothering to turn off the music, he rose from the bench and moved to the shower.

A small mirror fashioned from polished metal with a noticeable dent in it rested in the far wall. The reflection that stared back was not himself but rather, the manufactured persona he dubbed "Wraith" to lock away the man he once was.

That man died along time ago. He won't come back, not ever.

You mean like her, or you referring to the group you could have saved? Wraith whispered.

Why do you torment me? I tried.

Not hard enough, Frank, Wraith pressed in a hiss.

“Fuck you.” Stepping into the shower, Frank let the warm liquid fall down his frame, cascading over his scars and washing away his pain- both physical and mental. He could almost swear he could hear a familiar sweet voice just out of earshot.

“Please, just go... I can't... I'm sorry,” Frank pleaded, softly sobbing as his tears were lost in the waters. He remembered Her. The faces of his wife and their child lingered in his eyes. He remembered her gentle touch of her embrace, the scent of her perfume and the taste of her morning kiss. “Please! I don't want to,” he brokenly pleaded as the memory of her was distorted by the boom of an explosion, the creaking buckle of metal, and the weightless mocking laugh of some space pirate as his life was torn to hell.

A knock on the bathroom door sounded so distant, so foreign but Frank welcomed anything to help him momentarily escape these memories.

“Frank, it's Sonia. The ships prepped and the survivors are on board. We're just waiting on you, bud.”

Maybe you can protect them better, Wraith jeered.

“Shut up,” Frank demanded through the the drone of the shower.

“What was that, Frank?” Sonia called back, concerned.

“Nothing kid, I'll be out shortly,” Frank replied, turning off the water.

[Frank and Sonia and Ecur detachment left the Edward Deeming leaving whatever Ecur squad wished to stay.]