Idea: Species Variants/Origins for Characters

Build onto the existing setting or add new facets to the setting here: new races, factions, technology, etc.
Jimmy
Landsman
Landsman

Idea: Species Variants/Origins for Characters

Post by Jimmy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Hello there,

Recently I've been pondering wikifying certain variants of certain species within established roleplay so they can be more easily examined by unfamiliar players, and new players looking to join into certain plots or go to certain regions in which these variants exist or are even the majority of residents. Plus it also adds a minor, but interesting layer to the fluff of the setting. While I don't believe these new categories warrant their own pages, I would like to append them to current species articles as a minor mention and a link to the relevant plot or location where they often occur, however this requires a bit of join cooperation with various tenders of species outside my usual scope.

This additional lore will codify things within the setting that are already being used and played with, opening it up to examination, discovery by new players, and hopefully eventual expansion. It will also create a reference for existing players to refer back to or update as things develop. The majority of these edits involve the residents of the former Wangdaio Colonies and their post-apocalyptic societies, where culture, governments, and even biology of the survivors has transformed over the decade of isolation. This area of space has become a bit of a sandbox for not only myself but a very small number of other creators who are having a lot of fun writing out conflicts, histories, and horrible mutations within a micronism that won't start Space War 1. At least, until certain ducal figures risk a visit, I guess.

Currently a lot of the events, reasons, and history of the former Wangdaio are up in the air due to the transition from the old place, and so this is the start of an attempt to codify and set general set pieces for this region of space that lets all involved emotionally or otherwise to review and critique developments. I hate the words 'Mystery Boxes', but let me just say, there's a lot to still discover out there.

Currently, the species articles that may be open to these additions are the following:
  • Bu Qi with the addition of a Pygmy variant that I believe Tony has been using on his Star Dragon plot.
  • Human adding a Sheffeldan variant/origin, which includes the gene-moding for enhanced physique and cats eyes.
  • Taianese which have a deformed population called Shibai (Failures) concentrated in one particular star system.
This additions will probably take the form of a small heading towards the bottom of the article with a brief description and link such as:
Pygmy Variant
These diminutive subspecies of Bu Qi are often found on old starships with lots of dark, tight, forgotten spaces where their populations can hide or work alongside the current crews as they maintain their own small enclaves. Despite their shrunken size, they lack for little the Bu Qi reputation for trouble and antics.

They are part of the Star Dragon plot here.
I would like to get the opinions and assent from the relevant authorities for each of the involved species, namely Tony and Cadet for Tai Pan, and I guess Kim who created the first draft of the Human article.
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Idea: Species Variants/Origins for Characters

Post by CadetNewb » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:03 am

As mentioned in the discord, this is a pretty good idea. We'll be looking forward to it for sure.
ArsenicJohn
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Idea: Species Variants/Origins for Characters

Post by ArsenicJohn » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:29 pm

I turned the green Atraxians into a subspecies, should that also be listed somewhere like that?