Alliance Discussion and Stuffs

Build onto the existing setting or add new facets to the setting here: new races, factions, technology, etc.
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alliance Discussion and Stuffs

Post by CadetNewb » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:14 pm

I've went ahead and made this thread to try and centralize discussion on the Alliance, it's technology, setting elements back home and so forth.

I'll start first!
  • What's the situation with automation in the Alliance? How much does it do for them, or not? Especially in ships.
  • Tying into the previous question, it's been pointed out to me that most ships in the Alliance feature very large crew complements. What are all these people doing? Are they necessary for maintenance and stuff like IRL?
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alliance Discussion and Stuffs

Post by CadetNewb » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:29 pm

Ok, just had a pow-wow about the ship crew complements. Stuff like the Paladin-class might seem to be overpopulated at first glance, but in reality, it's the other way around. For scale, a football field is 109 meters long, and the Paladin-class is 525 meters long. That's roughly five football fields long, and with several decks inside. At the same time, the Nimitz-class supercarrier is 332 meters long, and has a crew of 6,000 during normal operation. This tells us that for its size, the crew complement is actually rather light, meaning that automation is likely in effect.

Does this mean that R2-D2 is rolling around with his buddy C-3PO? Are they doing work for the crew? Or is the ship maintaining itself? Only @Gunsight1 can answer that. : P