Side Mission 05: The Forgotten Station

With one disaster after another, the crew of the Edward Deming are stretched thin after another incident places their friends and family in danger...Some will go to great lengths to achieve their goals, though others may not be so eager to make a Faustian bargain.
Ray_Of_Meep
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Side Mission 05: The Forgotten Station

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:53 pm

The commander sighs in relief. It is done... for now. He stares at the screens, switching to displays of the away-team's vitals. Everything seems normal, save for the accelerated heartbeats, but that's par for the course, given what just happened. Excellent, no casualties. None of his crew is dying on his watch.

Geiben turns around to the command table. "Green squad, restrain the target. Science and medical teams, you are free to return to the station and resume your duties; code yellow. Mr. Wazu, please lead the science team and continue your investigation of the station; see if you can find out how this science experiment got here."

He pauses in consideration. "Soffy, I'd like you to head the medical team to treat the man back to consciousness. We'll need what he knows." The commanders eyes dart back at the display of the away-team's vitals, then puts his focus back onto the command table. "Resume the drones' duty to mapping out the station. Stay on alert, as always."
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:31 pm

Wazu listened, and slowly nodded,

"I see. Mystic stuff."

He'd harnessed magical power before, it seemed that many planets had ways of tapping into abilities and energy sources that were difficult to comprehend. Each planet seemed to have its own system. The rules of how it all worked were quite unlcear... to him at least. But they had an occult expert onboard the ship, a talented I'ee biologist, and a solid data connection that could bring them the answers they needed.

"You should head to the medical bay and file a full report. Soffy can look you over, and if there is anything physical she can do for you then we'll do it. I'll see if Dorris is around, and perhaps she can see about the mystical side of things."

Every problem, even the weird ones, could be solved.

---

Green-thumb and the rest of the marines would back away from the man on the floor for just a moment, giving him a good look. There was no telling what kind of transformation may happen next. Regardless, the marines kept their weapons ready.

"Lets uh... tie him up?" Green-Eggs asked.

"No rope." Green-Thumb responded, "Ecru squad, do you have any tape in your inventory?"

She'd then turn her attention to Geiben.

"I'd like to store this individual in one of the forward quarantine rooms. If he transforms again the damage he can do to the ship would be minimized. Soffy can examine him there."
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:37 pm

"Engineered mystical shit.." zenigata grumbled in a sort of agreement. "And do what? Sit there with him walking the halls?! I can't just sit there in that ship with him walking around like...everything's fine! I don't know, I haven't even tried to talk to him considering how everyone reacts with this."

Running fingers through his hair, the adlet look a deep breathe. Trying to calm down as he sat there.

"There's nothing physical to what Sonia has told me. It's all in my head, mental...." Zenigata added. "What good would any of it do? I can't even explain the entire situation without nearly loosing my mind again. Let alone getting...."

The adlet froze, shaking his head for a moment. A sigh leaving him as he gave up. No point. What was the point?

"Fine.....see ya." Zenigata said as he rose to his paws, turning to head onto the ship unless he was stopped.
=========================================
The individual remained unconcious, their body needing to recover from the strain of being stuck between forms and then getting back to normal. Transporting him back to the ship was a easy task.

As for the remainder of the ship, there wasn't really anything else. All escape pods were gone, no ships were docked in any secret areas. The lab didn't have any other creatures in it. The encryption for the systems was still a hard bugger to crack. All the files regarding the experiments kept requesting for the idea of the unknown Dr. Gho.... as the machines were all damaged to where the being's name wouldn't come through. Still, transferring the files worked just as well. Cracking the encryption would take time but should be sped up with the files being on the ship.

No supplies, nothing. If they hadn't arrived here, the being probably would've starved due to no food. So in a way, they had saved him. Course, the crew could choose to take what remained of machinery for spare parts and such?
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:31 pm

The creature itself would end up carried back t the ship, placed in an isolation. A video and audio feed remained available for anyone that wished to talk to it, while Soffy worked on a medical check-up remotely using one of the robotic arms mounted inside of the quarantine area. Ultimately, with so little to work from, it was hard to tell exactly what 'healthy' was for the creature.

Regardless, Soffy left the creature a juicebox.

Green and Ecur squads would finish checking the other ship out. Remote-access tools were used to connect to the ship's computer and begin making a copy of its data. They could work on decryption it at their leisure once a copy was in their possession. This left only the question of what to do with the ship.

"Geiben, I'd like to have Engineering take a look at this ship's power and propulsion systems. We may be able to salvage it, and bring it back into orbit around Hawking. I'm sure there is enough left of this hull to do something special." Green-Thumb asked. Though Wazu would chime in shortly afterwards.

"The maneuvering thrusters on the Hawking are entirely containerized, and use a 2+1 for redundancy configuration. We could eject four of the thrusters, and still have eight for the Deming. We then attach them to this ship and let the robots fly it back to Hawking rather than trying to fix it ourselves."

---

"ZENIGATA," Wazu would call out, rather firmly, "Whatever is going on with you, we can deal with it. If you don't know what to do, then there is someone on this ship who does. But we can't help you if you maintain a defeatist attitude."
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:46 pm

"According to Sonia who also has this, THERE IS NOTHING TO BE DONE!! I'm going off what I have been told, and she's over four hundred thousands of years old! I don't know how hold anymore, too many zeros!!" Zenigata snapped back as he turned round. "I either have to be happy all the time or neutral, I'm trying to do either but for someone who operates off of staying focused on a single task and being in their head. I OPERATE THAT WAY. IT's how I learned to operate and it's now the worst thing for me to do as it triggers it. I currently have hundreds of voices whispering in my head with negativity ALONG with my self doubts. Along with all the baggage I was trying to manage on my own. I WANT IT TO BE QUIET FOR ONCE, IN MY OWN HEAD!!!"

The adlet slammed a fist against the wall as he shouted. Gritting his teeth as he took several deep breathes. A look of anger and frustration on his face before his features slowly relaxed and he allowed his dark brown gaze to go off of Wazu. His tail going limp behind him as he stood there.

"Sorry.....you...it's just..." Zenigata attempted to explain but he didn't know how to word it, letting his hands grasp his head as he stood there.

Nothing but hundreds of voices with their babble going on and on about how he just screwed it up. Now he was going to end up in the loony bin if he wasn't put down for being..'rabid'.
---------------------------------------

The man slowly came to, mixmatched eyes blinking as he sat up with ease. Course, he noticed the robot arm and reached to poke it. More like in a curious manner before he allowed his gaze to look around the quarintined area.

"Ello ello! Anyone here?" The man questioned, his voice still holding that strange staticy tone to it.
Ray_Of_Meep
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Geiben feels for his pistol as he leaves the CIC, making his way to the quarantined area where the man was held. Looking at his data pad, he frowns at the reports of one peculiar doctor aboard the ship. The commander sighs. He'll need to have a good talk with him. Who was the psychiatrist on this ship again? He shakes his head slightly. Never mind that, the mission comes first.

He walks into to the quarantined area, nodding in recognition to the members of Green squad keeping guard here. Pouring a soft, plastic cup of water, Geiben approaches the man. "Glad to see you awake." He remarks, trying to keep a friendly tone. The commander pushes the water towards the man. "We'd like to ask you a few questions."

"Soffy, keep watch of his bio-metrics, please." Geiben then continues at the man. "Do you remember anything? Your name? Past occupation? Where you lived? What happened on that station? Who experimented on you?"
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Wazu was pretty sure there was a solution. There was ALWAYS a solution. There were also always ways for someone to say it couldn't be done, or ways to impede progress. He couldn't help but clench a fist and bring it up. There was only one thing to say here,

"DO THE IMPOSSIBLE, SEE THE INVISIBLE!"

He looked at Zenigata for long enough to determine if his bold prose had roused the fighting spirit inside of the Adlet.

".... Fight the power... Who cares what one person has to say regardless of how old they are? I don't take such information at face value, especially when someone is so certain that something can't be accomplished."

---

"YES I WILL DO THAT!" Soffy shouted, as she jumped up on her stool infront of her console. Keeping an eye on the monitors as requestsed. Her enthusiasm still bubbling over as she took this opportunity to use the PA system in the quarantine area.

"HELLO NEWFRIEND! I LEFT A JUICEBOX OUT FOR YOU! IT IS APPLEJUICE!"
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:10 pm

Zenigata stood there, bunching his shoulders up as he stood there. Noise noise noise!!! Too much noise!!! It was clear there was a look of discomfort on the adlet's face as he stood there. Constant whispering and muttering. He could hear Wazu but their voice was starting to feel drowned out. Not completly and not yet to the point of sounding like they were underwater.

"She's had it for ages...experience with it and nothing has changed in that..." Zenigata replied, easily loosing his train of thought.
-----------------------------

"HEllo!" The man greeted Soffy with a wave to where her voice came from.

For the moment, ignoring Geiben though his attention turned to the man. Accepting the cup of water, he held it in his hands before chuckling.

"Slow down there Sir, your tongue is going to twist round itself and fall off with how many questions you are flinging around." The man started. "I am Wheatly, story host for all the boys and girls. That's always been my job when they allowed me out of their medical area. Pleasure to meet your acquaintance sir, who are you?"

Of course by medical area, he was refering to the lab. The tall and thin man had a great deal of energy. Easily jumping to his feet as he stood there, accidentally towering over Geiben. Though he couldn't just stand there, that was boring! Even with a person to talk to. Taking a large drink from the cup, most of the water was gone with that gesture. Save for a small amount that he set down near the juicebox.

"As for the state of Tesla's Wondertoruim I don't know what happened there. Things get hard to recall when the dial has me stuck between shows. I'm terribly sorry if the Amythest Beast did some damage to the park, they're a very aggresive character. The doctors hadn't fixed some of my stories yet." Wheatly admitted.
Ray_Of_Meep
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:11 pm

"Commander Geiben Folami." He replies, raising an eyebrow. "So you're a story teller, one who acts as a character? And in this case, you take the role of the Amethyst Beast? What stories do the doctors make you tell?"
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:16 pm

"Oh they don't make me tell any stories. I'm Wheatly, I'm just the talk host for the shows. The characters take on their own life." Wheatly explained before point to the black knob sticking out of the left side of his neck. "That's why I kept trying to tell you to turn the dial. Once the dial is turned either I resurface or a new character takes their place. Hopefully a less aggressive one. The doctors weren't fond of me coming up with stories for each character but honestly, there was nothing else to do. I can give a demonstration if you wish?"

The man set his hands on a chair and hosted himself up with his hands rather than doing things like a simple person. Long legs stuck out before he tucked them in pretzel style and took a seat.
Ray_Of_Meep
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Geiben gives an incredulous look at Soffy, then looks back at Wheatly. This is going to be quite the tale to report back to command. Then again, weirder things have been done for entertainment. The commander waves his hand. "No, that won't be necessary, thank you. It seems, unfortunately, that the Wondertorium has been abandoned, and you without a job." He scrolls across his data pad, then continues. "What do you know of Dr. Gho?"
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:02 pm

"I know." Wheatly replied. "Already told ya that everyone disappeared from there."

The lanky man rocked in the chair slightly, a boredom nervous tick one could claim. Though he just had too much bent up energy to spare. Wouldn't you after being stuck between forms unable to do anything for a super long time? No? Eh oh well.

"Dr. Gho...?" Wheatly repeated, a confused expression appearing on his face. "Er...can't say it rings any bells. Sounds like a odd soup if you ask me."
Ray_Of_Meep
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:46 pm

"Is that so?" Geiben contemplated, putting his hands behind his back. "So, to summarize, you are a character actor for this once functioning Wondertorium who was stuck in your character form. You have no recollection of what forced the employees and the visitors of the installation to evacuate. Do you have any recollection of where the doctors who worked on you came from?"

"And now that you are out of a job, what do you plan on doing now? Do you have a home to return to?"
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:57 pm

"Yep." Wheatly replied. "None of em liked to talk about personal life and they were always there. They worked as staff for the Park itself as well."

The enthusastic energy he had sort of faded as he stopped rocking. Tilting his head to the side somewhat.

"The park is my home. I woke up in that sci-ency area that you guys found me in well...years ago." Wheatly answered with a small shrug. "They kept calling me three for a long time but I gave myself the name Wheatly. Sounds so much better don't you think?
Ray_Of_Meep
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:05 pm

"Indeed." Geiben looks at Wheatly with a degree of sympathy. Seems like a rather sad life working in only one place, only knowing that place, for years. All for what? Entertainment to the masses? They probably didn't even see him as human. Then again, neither did he himself when he was monitoring the encounter.

...Perhaps it wasn't too bad, given the bliss of ignorance. Geiben speaks up again. "Well then, Mr. Wheatly. I think I asked everything I needed to. Soffy here will continue to monitor your vitals. Please understand that we're keeping you in here, only to make sure you aren't harboring diseases and whatnot. Once we return to Alliance space, we'll figure out if you can be integrated into society."

The commander gives one final nod, before leaving the quarantine zone. He then opens up comms to Mr. Wazu. "Mr. Wazu, what is the progress of the data decryption?"

He then messages Zenigata. "Doctor, I'd like you in my office in 30 minutes."
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:15 pm

"I doubt I have anything given how often they had me strapped to medical equipment." Wheatly replied with a wave of his hand, his cheery mood returning swiftly.

Course the lanky man merely got down from their chair, giving a wave as Geiben walked out. There wasn't really anything for them to do in here but he wasn't just going to be rude and leave the room. Nope. The man had a good reason to keep him in here. As for what Wazu was finding, they had finally broken through. Now files were corrupt due to the bad condition of the systems.

What exactly he was finding though was lab reports. Something about GKR project; Genetic kinetic Research. Comments of A and B trials with live subjects were all failures and were desposed of and they were moving onto C trail. In terms of C trail, there was heavy mentions of Subject Three and how the project would no longer use live test subjects. Refering to how they were now creating the subjects for C Trail from the ground up to say. Mentions of shapeshifting abilities also appeared.
---------------------

Zenigata sat there on the ship. Slowly getting his mind to sort itself out. Hearing the message from Geiben, he gave a tired sigh.

"can it wait?" Zenigata messaged back.
Ray_Of_Meep
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Geiben's eyebrows knit as he reads the doctor's message. Given any other circumstance push-back shouldn't be condoned, but considering its Zenigata's mental health that's on the line here, leniency has to be given. The commander replies. "I'll give you 12 hours. No more." It was probably best this way; he needed to write the report anyways.

He calls the bridge. "Green-horn, plot course for the Hawking system. Call me when necessary; I'll be in my private quarters working on this mission's report."

The commander walks into his room, closing the airlock behind him. Coming to his desk, he taps on his mechanic keyboard to turn on his glass monitor mounted into the furniture. Setting aside his data pad to recharge it, Geiben opens a small tab on the computer, popping up a picture of his family. On it is a tall couple, one of Terran African descent, the other European, both wearing formal attire. Besides them are a young man and woman, both shorter, but also somewhat more muscular. The young woman wears a blue dress, while the young man wears his graduation gown. They stand on a sandy beach, behind them the gentle waves of Pacifica' seas.

Geiben smiles at the photo. At the very least, he left home on good terms with his family. Ten standard years in the military... it'll be nice to go back for once. With renewed vigor, the commander switches to Office 2551, and begins typing.

-------------------

"... All data files are attached in the appendix. Following protocol, we arrived at the open-space installation, which turned out to be a amusement facility known as Tesla's Wondertorium. Strangely, the station suffered no major exterior structural damage, all its escape pods were successfully ejected. Internal gravity and life support were weakened, but operational."

"... As Green Squad and Ecru Squad attached to the IAS Edward Demming navigated through the installation, no life signs were initially detected; no casualties, no signs of struggle, save for damaged animatronics. Following a power surge, Green Squad found a deformed man, bloodied with a cocktail of xeno-substances. The initial apprehension was unsuccessful, costing one drone and, fortunately, no other casualties. Green Squad and Ecru Squad were then ordered to fan out and find the man, losing another drone in the process. The man was found in a fully transformed state, what he called an 'amethyst beast', before successfully apprehended by Green Squad with no further loss of equipment."

"... Upon apprehension and placed in the quarantine zone aboard the ship, the man was cooperative in questioning. His name was given to be Wheatley, having no recollection of the events that transpired on the Wondertorium, nor any information of the scientists that worked on him, his only knowledge being his occupation: a 'character actor' who seems to have been physiologically altered on a periodic basis for the Wondertorium's visitors' amusement. What we could find in the deteriorating data banks were a personal's name: Dr. Gho, and lab reports tracing back to a project known as 'Genetic Kinetic Research'."

------------------

Upon completion, Geiben sends the report to Green Thumb. "I'm glad to say the mission has been a success, given the lack of casualties and the information we gathered. However, I'm concerned about Doctor Zenigata's deteriorating mental health. I'm going to try to talk to him into getting some rest... and some help. Any advice would be appreciated."
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 pm

After an abrupt "YES SIR!" from Green-Horn, it would be Green-Thumb's turn to talk.

"It seems that we're collecting more crew members with problems," She mused at first. Her squad already working on getting out of their bulky armor as the mission wound down."If you don't know how to solve a problem, then find someone who does. I would start with Soffy. She is the most 'expert' of our medical staff. I understand there is a bit more to it than just that though. I would not know who to speak to regarding the rest but I would think Soffy can at least point us in the right direction. "
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:19 am

"That's fine." Zenigata messaged back before merely sinking where he was sitting.

Feeling tired and overwhelmed. The adlet sat there, trying to calm his mind and honestly, he set a small alarm for twelve hours and just passed out. Sleep was honestly the only thing that might help.
---------------------------------
Tweleve hours later-

Zenigata awoke a hour ago but he had debated on dragging himself to where Geiben wanted to meet early or not. Pulling just the lab coat on himself. He walked, rubbing his eyes free of the sleepy stuff. He didn't really have much internally going on, just the normal issues running amuck in his head. Just the mundane of hearing things now. Just great. For a moment, he almost forgot to send a message saying he was on his way but it hit his mind as he was just walking through those empty halls.

"on my way.." the message being sent to Geiben would read.

A few minutes later, Zenigata would arrive and knock on the door.
Ray_Of_Meep
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:24 pm

"Come in." There's a gentle beep, before a small LED on the airlock lights up, opening up, revealing Geiben's private quarters. For that of an officer, it's sparse to a fault: his Virtual Reality bay that seems to also act as an independently pressurized sleeping pod, his closet built into the wall, and a desk, with nothing but the built in monitor and keyboard, along with his data pad docked in a charger, in front of the desk being a chair. On the wall is secured a model of a Pacifican sailboat, sleek in design. There's not a single loose object in the room.

Geiben himself pulls himself out of the VR bay, only wearing his biosuit at the moment. Walking out non-nonchalantly, he goes to his closet to pull out an officer's jacket to wear. "Please, make yourself comfortable." He gestures to the chair in front of the desk, himself going behind the desk, bringing his hands together as he looks at Zenigata with his green-blue eyes. After a few seconds of pause, the commander begins.

"I'm giving you an order, Doctor, to get rest for at least 168 hours. I'll also be assigning a psychiatrist to meet with you regularly. Both you and I know why I have to do this." The commander sighs nervously. "Please understand, I need to run this ship, and I can't have you stress yourself further before getting some help first; I read the reports. If you have any objections, speak them now."
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:37 pm

Entering the room, Zenigata didn't really take note of what the room looked like. He merely took a seat, slumping slightly as he was just trying to keep his focus on anything other than his own thoughts. With everything running around in his head. Dark brown eyes looked slowly to Geiben.

"Rest....if only it was that easy." Zenigata remarked. "I know why you're doing this and while I would like to believe it'll help...i seriously doubt it will. Have you ever had anyone else's voice besides your own and your self doubts running around in your head? Try having that amplified by thousands of voices you have no damn clue who they are or why they're in your head. Reports.....I doubt the chances of Esscast having made that report in regards to why I have this. But if I get on that subject....everything's going to unravel and my head is already spinning painfully enough."

Not literally spinning, just his mind feeling over whelmed. Nothing he said was said in a annoyed or angered way. Despite having slept some, he still just sounded tired. The adlet looked tired.

"Stress is natural and never good. But healers are always stressed...they carry the burdens of others while trying to make sure all the others stay alive....and yet no one notices anything in regards to the healer till eveyrthing is clearly going to shit!" Zenigata retorted, folding his arms in a manner that didn't suggest anger but a insecure action as his tail was mostly hidden under him. "I don't want to be crazy....I got played the fucking sentiamental fool and used as the fall guy....and all I do is fuck things up. And everything I've been told has been told to me by someone who has had this for eons. A magical mental curse that has no cure, heh....just my luck isn't it?"
Ray_Of_Meep
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:45 am

Geiben frowns, shaking his head. "Yes, I've become painfully aware of your dilemma. It's a curse, and if there was a way to resolve it, you would've done it already, given the resources we have available. And let's be clear here..." The commander grows stern. "I DO know the burdens medics carry, Doctor, as I know that of every engineer, scientist, soldier, technician, and officer on this ship. Were you of a different occupation, I would still order you to rest."

He stands up, walking to the model sailboat mounted on the wall. "You undervalue your work here. Only a fool would not appreciate your work as a doctor until the most dire of times. As for "fucking up", that is what we're trying to prevent here, is it not?" Facing the wall, Geiben hides knit-eyebrows. "Of course, I have no idea what you're going through; how could I? I do not have thousands of voices stuck in my head. I only know to give you space so you may find resolution, wherever it may be." The commander continues to speak, but stops himself, instead silently waits for Zenigata to respond.