Chapter 1 Prologue: Mining the Ore

Revenge? Justice? Untouchables? The Black Forge is a group of independent vigilantes and mercenaries looking to right wrongs and keep those above the law subject to a law of higher ideals. Come join our group to right your wrongs and help others to do the same. Learn the Black Codex, and transcend your weaknesses.
The Black Forge, a collection of misfits all, attempts to survive in a hostile universe, by trading, fighting, and exploring while running low on spare parts, food, and keeping one step a head of the bank.
Bullroarer4
Staff
Staff

Chapter 1 Prologue: Mining the Ore

Post by Bullroarer4 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 am

Reservoir
New Masias
The King's Deck

Dav SteinBar leaned against the bar, nursing his first beer of the night. Clad in dark trousers, a dingy, antique white shirt, and knee high Armored Mecha Pilot boots, Dav kept one hand on his hip, inches from his Interstellar alliance laser pistol. Clearly he was expecting someone, or trouble from something. A tall man, with the most common of hair, the very dark brown, clipped short in the military style with the temples shaved. To those in the know, this was how most Mecha pilots kept their hair, both for ease of care and to improve the mind-machine interface. rounded ears and nose competed with the strong square jaw. tight lobe-less ears rounded out his physical features, save for the tanned and weathered skin, a hint of Ancient Caucasian skin blended with the uncharacteristic almond green eyes.

Xir was standing next to the bar with it's pitcher of water on the bar next to him. Xir as usual, as being the bar bouncer, was watching over the room taking note of the few people that were in this time of day. Xir noticed the man at the bar seeming nervous with his hand close to his sidearm. Xir was relatively sure that the man could be reached if he was stupid enough to pull the weapon. With Xir taking a big swig of water using one of the tentacles out of its back like a straw, Xir feels the refreshing cool water enter its body.

Joshua Watson is wearing jeans with a plain black tactical belt in the hoops of his belt and is wearing a long sleeve v-neck shirt with both sleeves rolled up. He is also wearing steel toe tactical boots that are being mostly covered up by his jeans. Joshua Watson is sitting with a group of people that he meet earlier that day. All the while Josh has a beer in one hand and a long rectangular bag resting next to his chair. He noticed the interesting humanoid person seemed to be enjoying itself. Not really caring he continues to hang with his new found friends having a time. Wondering if today was a good day to come to the bar because he had to find work soon .

Steven is sitting in the corner waiting for a man to come, not knowing who but finding it very irritating that he is not there at the time, but maintaining a smile and sipping a small mead but nothing that would affect his judgment. Steven kept his eyes on the people especially the large tentacle monster and a man about as jumpy as him. He hopes that he can keep his head low and get out if there is an issue.

Xir wraps it's elongated fingers around the thick glass pitcher of water and picks it up from the bar. In a slow smooth walking rhythm, Xir walks over to the nervous man at the other end of the bar. Raising the tentacles to Xir's skull, they began to rub the bones on its head to make sound. "Good.. day.. friend.. Do. You. speak. trade. common. speech?" Xir's tentacles noticeably vibrated.

Dav said, "I am just waiting for another friend of mine to arrive." A certain tension continued to emanate from Dav, his body language shouting at all who gazed upon him.

As the stranger repositioned himself, Xir set its hind end on the floor (like a dog sitting) and discreetly wrapped it's tail around the bar stool. With Xir being 7 feet tall and a quadruped, it still slightly looked down on the stranger. Before Xir spoke again one of the tentacles dipped in the water pitcher and the water level noticeably dropped. Once the tentacles returned to the skull, Xir said "I'm... rude... my... name... is... Xir... I... guard... here."

Dav extends his hand towards Xir as he speaks, "Greetings, Xir. My name is Dav. I am waiting on an associate of mine to discuss business. I intend no harm to the patrons of this fine establishment. This is known as a sort of neutral place among those folk known to dabble in such things. My nerves are a little tense, as I am short of funding and my associate has a business proposition."

Steven notices the two talking and listens into their conversation, giving him the feeling that is the man he is looking for and becomes very curious about the four-legged tentacle monster. Steven gets up and
swaggers up to the tentacle monster being very enthusiastic about it. Steven asked both of them "what is your name?"

Xir reached out its right hand to take Dav's, easily wrapping around it with the elongated fingers with a noticeably strong squeeze. Seemingly unsurprised by the new man that joined the conversation, Xir continued his tentacles rubbing to say “My.. name.. is.. Xir..” Looking towards the new comer, “You.. are.. Steven. I’ve.. seen.. you.. many.. times.. Here. Since.. this.. place.. isn’t.. apart.. of.. the.. syndicate.. we.. pride.. this.. place.. to.. stay.. as.. you.. say.. neutral.” Looking back at Dav, Xir’s tentacle tips and its eyes begin to glow brighter. “If.. your.. meeting.. becomes...violent... Please... allow... me... to... handle... it.”

"I understand, Xir. No problems from me." Dav said, holding up his hands in a passive manner. Turning to the newcomer to the group, Dav extended his hand to the newcomer to the conversation, "Greetings, friend. My name is Dav. You look like a handy fellow, if a bit nervous. Steven was it? Stay awhile and listen." Dav assessed Steven and Xir, taking their measure. "You look like persons of some skill in areas I am in desperate need of. Care to join me for a while and see if you are interested?"

Steve gives a small smile and says "why not, I'm quite interested in your offer. It seems my friend isn't here yet"

Xir took a step back sensing the approach of a 4th person. It knows that it's size and stature can be intimidating to smaller bipedal species. While looking at Dav, Xir said "I'm... always... interested... in... listening.". Xir raised it's left hand to gain the bar tenders attention and then tapped the water pitcher for a refill.

Clad within her signature long-sleeved, skintight, and black catsuit, Zéphyrine strode into the bar, the massive, 6-inch heels on her boots clacking with every step that she took. Even with the tall heels on her feet, by no means was Zéphyrine an imposing woman. The boots only rose her height to just over five feet tall, and she seemed to possess a playful and feminine demeanor that was more ingratiating than striking. As she walked through the bar, her eyes scanned the tables for the group of people that she was looking for.

Battle Frame pilots.

Not too long ago, she had been released from her contract with the Baba Yaga. She had shed many tears at the separation, but with the increasing Tai Pan navy presence in the sector, pirating was becoming more dangerous and risky every day. Zéphyrine owed much to the Baba Yaga, and in many ways she felt that she had not given enough of herself to her. After all, the first captain of the ship was the one who had given her life, and she was infinitely grateful for that. Although Zéphyrine was separated from the Baba Yaga for now, she vowed that she repay her debt one day.

A few connections she had fostered with her old crew mates on the Baba Yaga had pointed her to Black Forge, a mercenary group of battle frame pilots who fought not only for money, but for high ideals. Zéphyrine was interested, and she had been told that her skills as a drone fighter pilot would be extremely applicable in her training as a battle frame pilot. Her old crew mates had even given her a few written guides and training manuals on the art of mecha warfare and a mecha simulator, which she had read and practiced voraciously. Zéphyrine knew that if she wanted to become a mecha pilot for real, she would have to get approved for training first. As young as she was, she knew that they did not just accept anyone for training. After all, mecha were expensive, and they could not afford to waste money on pilots who were incompetent, lazy, or unmotivated.

Fortunately, Zéphyrine was exactly none of those things.

After a few seconds, Zéphyrine found a man who seemed to be the one she was looking for. He possessed a military demeanor, which was reflected in his haircut, the Interstellar Alliance laser pistol on his hip, and the thick pair of boots on his feet. There was an imposing, tentacled centaur-like creature with him, who seemed to be speaking slowly and deliberately to the man. Zéphyrine wasn't one to interrupt, so she decided to wait until it looked like the men had reached a break in their conversation, before she moved to approach them.

The first things that signaled Zéphyrine's approach was the strong, jasmine-vanilla scent of her perfume and the clacking of her heels against the ground. Zéphyrine locked eyes with them, giving each a sweet grin before her gaze returned to the tall, military cut man.

"Mr. SteinBar? My name is Zéphyrine, are you with the Black Forge?" The brown-skinned woman extended her hand out towards Dav, as she addressed the tall man in her high-pitched and fluttery voice.

"Greetings Ms. Zéphyrine" Dav took her hand and bent low to kiss her knuckles, lightly. "Indeed I am with The Black Forge. What business would you have with me?"

Had she been a lighter-skinned woman, a sharp tinge of blush would have flushed her cheeks. She had been expecting the man to shake her hand, but, being the obvious gentleman that he was, Mr. Steinbar had kissed her instead. The kiss had elicited a sharp intake of breath from the diminutive woman, her thighs clasping tight against each other as her eyelashes fluttered up and down repeatedly in an unconsciously ladylike fashion.

There was a brief pause as the diminutive dark-skinned woman took a sharp intake of breath, before her eyes widened as if she were experiencing a revelation.

"Ohhh...I...I've arrived to sign up for training as a battle frame pilot, sir!" She spoke, her words initially uncertain and quiet, before transitioning to a louder and more confident tone as she spoke. "I was recommended by one of my old crew mates from the Baba Yaga." Zéphyrine added cheerfully.

"I will certainly try you out, Ms. Zéphyrine." Dav responded, with a glint in his eye. With a group of tough professionals surrounding him, Dav began to relax. His hand no longer rested near his weapon, instead was filled with a large glass mug.

Joshua's eyes were caught on the women the extremely high heels as he grabs his bag a slings it over his and told his new found friends " I'll talk to you guy later " and approached the group of people. As he approached the group he hears the woman talk about the mercenary group named Black Forge. Joshua thought this is the best way to get a job. So after the girl introduced herself. He went and introduced himself to everyone of the group.

After all the introductions were completed, Dav directed the group to settle in a corner booth, both for privacy as well as a commanding view of the room. Dav ordered a basket of blood oranges as well as a round of drinks, paying with a worn E-note. There they waited for Dav's contact to arrive, potentially the first of many new contracts to fill the Forge's coffers as well some opportunities to save some poor souls from the ravages of war.

Xir positions itself against the wall next to the booth. It can't sit in those things, but it needs to be ready to move and stop a fight, if needed, anyways.

[[OOC: JP completed by Bullroarer4, Immortal Beauty, SloanRocks2, Dimirhunterjsh2, and Shinoh01.]]
Bullroarer4
Staff
Staff

Re: Chapter 1 Prologue: Mining the Ore

Post by Bullroarer4 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:45 am

Reservoir
New Masias
The King's Deck
Sometime later

Collected in the booth, Dav saw his contact over the shoulder of Joshua enter the bar. A largish man known for firmness as well as fairness. Flanked by two toughs wearing the wraith's head patch on their shoulders, the man smoothly strode towards Dav and his group.

Xir saw the three men approaching. They didn't sense familiar to it. As they came close to the table Xir's tentacles, and other luminescent parts of its body became a brighter blue. To them this might be more intimidating but in reality it was so Xir could see them better in a more natural light spectrum to Xir's species. It will also allow Xir's other senses to focus on what's going on around them instead so focused on what going on at this table.

Joshua saw Xir glow brighter blue than he was all ready. So Joshua looked over his shoulder to see what it's eyes turned blue for and that's when he saw the three figures moving this way towards them. Joshua decided he was a professional and to let Dav do all the talking. He wished nothing would happen because he is a easy going guy, for the most part. So Josh turns his head and looks at the three men that come into the doorway.

Steven pays close attention to the patches on the arms of the men, and closely examination each one of the men

"Dav..." The man said in a neutral tone.

Dav responded likewise in tone, if a bit gruffer, "Justin...Are we here to deal or...?"

Justin snorted, his two beard tails waggling. "Obviously deal. If I were interested in the latter, you would be dead by now."

As curious as Xir was to hear this deal that might be wanted, work had to be done. A couple patrons started pushing each other, and those two had a history of escalating things. Xir speed across the bar room surprisingly fast, people quickly getting out of the way, and Xir grabbed both of them by the neck and partially lifted them off the floor. When one of them reached for a side arm, Xir's tentacle whipped his hand hard, causing the guy to scream. The wrist is likely now broken. The second guy raised his hands, and repeatedly apologized.

"Jimmy has a proposition for you, Dav." Justin began. "An associate purchased a company of Battle Frames...then promptly raided a storehouse for additional parts and ammunition. Jimmy suspects they were intending to go pirate to begin with. We need to have this dealt with publicly, but with plausible deniability. Our other customers can be equally..nervous... For your trouble, you can keep whatever you find, Battle Frames included. Here is the data on where they are currently hold up." Justin slides a data chip across the table, with a great deal of looming involved. "I was never here, you understand?" Justin said, a note of finality in his tone brooking no dissent.

Steven keeps is eyes on the men, and thinking to himself on how much information he can find on these so called pirates and becomes very attentive on the deal at hand

Xir passes the two men to other bouncers that came onto the scene. Xir tells the others "Remember... you... are... the... bouncers... and... I'm... the... cooler..."
Xir then returns to the booth just catching the ending of the deal and a mention of something having to do with product likely going to pirates if we don't get involved.

Justin continued, "Let me know in the next 24 hours if you are taking the job." With that, Justin strode away from the table and out of the bar, his two wraiths in tow.

Dav let out a huge sigh before speaking,"THAT guy gives me the chills." After shaking for a second, a nervous response, Dav addressed the table. "So, are you interested in putting down some pirates?" Dav said.

Xir thinks for a moment. "I... think... it's... time... to... explore... more... And... see... what.. other... paths... have... to... offer. Besides... killing... pirates... is... never... a... bad... thing.

Steven looks at Dav and says "well why not, i love a good adventure, plus someone to fix your toys"

Joshua looks at everyone at the table then took a sip from the beer he ordered and then he looked at Dav and looked as though he's was thinking hard but Then Joshua says "where do I sign up sir. Sounds like it would be a ton a fun plus there's a job for me."

Zéphyrine felt her gaze wander from one pair of eyes to another, as the group considered the merits of the job. Having been a pirate once herself, she felt a little trepidation at taking the job. She hoped that they wouldn't be dealing with the Baba Yaga or any group closely associated with it. But regardless, Zéphyrine was not one to deny an opportunity for money and valuable Frame piloting experience. She wondered if she would be given a real frame to pilot, or if she would be relegated to the bridge or repair bays.

"I am interested, but..." The white-haired woman paused. She wasn't going to say out loud that she had been a member of a pirate crew once before. "...will I be piloting a frame?"

Xir looks at those that agreed to join. "What... does... everyone... bring... too... the... table...?"

OOC: JP completed by Bullroarer4, Immortal Beauty, SloanRocks2, Dimirhunterjsh2, and Shinoh01
Bullroarer4
Staff
Staff

Post by Bullroarer4 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:26 am

Reservoir
New Masias
The King's Deck

Dav gazed around at the gathered persons, taking their measure. Several pilots of various skill, a mechanic, and a creature with some interesting appendages. 

"I think we can make it work, if we can access the Frames and take them by suprise. How shall we go about doing this reposesion?" Dav asked, inviting the others to offer their ideas and opinions.

"Ummm..." Zéphyrine hummed aloud, before abruptly stopping herself. Her gaze wondered nervously to the others, to see if they were looking at her, especially since she had been the first one to vocalize. "Do...we know anything about these pirates uhh...habits? Or are we going in guns blazing?"

Steven starts a big mischievous grin and says" I might be able to find the right information if I look in the right spot.  My other friends can help find the details about the pirates and their hideout"

Joshua looks at Zèphyrine then over to Dav to see what he is going to say. He sees Steven out of the corner of his eyes were he sees Steven with a devilish grinn. Joshua wondering what he is thinking.

Xir looked at Zéphyrine "I'm... sure... Dav... will.. find... or... has... more... info... on... these... pirates... Then... taking... the... word... of... three... men... we... don't... know,... and... that... he... will... let... us... see... the... info.  Right... Dav?  I... don't... plan... to... die... soon... by... jumping... into... this... blind."

Dav stares at the data chip on the table, his hand stroking the stubble of a five o'clock shadow. Lost in thought for a moment, Dav  smiles. "O.k." he said, standing up in the booth. "Before we go further, I would like your signatures on this document stating you will not divulge the contents of this meeting to anyone." Dav places a data pad with a very sophisticated thumb print scanner and genetic sampler. "Here are the rules of the black forge. I invite all of you to join, in whatever capacity you feel comfortable with. Feel free to read them while I gather some intelligence on our marks. Let's meet back here in three days. I should have some results for everybody to see by that time."

"Okay sounds like a solid plan to me"Joshua says this as he's reading the document and signing them. After he signs the documents he stands and "wish everyone has a good day and until we meet again my good people" as he leaves the booth. 

Steven meticuloiusly looks over the agreement and everything he signs and looks up at Dav and says "sounds like a plan"

Xir reads the document carefully and it seemed alright.  Xir then signed with it's finger print.  "Dav. I'll... get... my... affairs... in... order..., and... look... forward... to... working... with... you."  Xir then walks back to the bar and waves over the bar owner to discuss with him about putting it's notice in.  Xir knows that it would be welcomed back openly if this deal is a bust.

[[OOC: JP completed by Bullroarer4, Immortal Beauty, SloanRocks2, Dimirhunterjsh2, and Shinoh01.]]
Bullroarer4
Staff
Staff

Post by Bullroarer4 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:43 am

Reservoir
New Masias
The King's Deck
Three days later

Settling into his booth, now unofficially known as Dav's office, Dav placed a small portable holographic projector on the table also crowded with bowls of beer nuts, mugs of various drinks, and several platters of greasy charred meats. Dav wore a different outfit, this time a martial uniform colored in black with silver and gold trim. Half buttoned, a black synthetic undershirt peeking out,the jacket had the care and wear of an article that had seen many different stars and environs. He awaited those new members looking to right a few wrongs.

Xir was sitting at the bar with yet again a large pitcher of water in hand.  Unlike last time Xir also has a large bowl of mushrooms,  and a smaller container of syrup.  After poring small amounts of syrup on the mushrooms, the tentacles would suck down couple mushrooms.  Then drink water.  This process continued until the others arrived.  While sitting there, Xir appeared to sway just a little as if slightly intoxicated.

Steven walks into the bar looking for his new found group of friends, having an ecstatic look on his face, waiting to see what adventures may come 

Joshua walks into the bar in normal attire looks at the other two who arrived before him and say " how was your day good sir's " and talks to them until the last member of the party arrives.

Xir picked up it's bowl of food and pitcher, before coming over to the table.  It seemed to walk slower then last seen.  Seemingly unsure of its walking.  It sat it's hind end on the floor to wait for the projector to start up and tell what was needed to be known.

Seeing Xir like this looks a little off as Xir walks to the table that everyone is at. Joshua laughs a little bit as he making his way over here.

After greeting all his new brothers and sisters, Dav tapped on the projector. "Thanks to Steven's info, as well as some of my own contacts, We have a good timetable for managing a solid plan. This will be completed in two phases. The first will be the infiltration portion, where one part of the team will provide insertion and over-watch while the second team will penetrate the pirate base and hack several frames for our pilots to take over." Dav tapped a virtual button on the projector, changing the image on the projector from the Black forge logo to a brightly colored topographical  wire map. "Our Aerospace pilot will fly a borrowed gunship, allowing for a near orbital insertion of both teams. the Gunship will follow a prescribed orbital route, circumnavigating the planet, then coming in hot to engage targets and to provide fire support to our ground forces. This circumnavigation will, unfortunately take 21.7 minutes per loop with a hang time of only 52 seconds, so good communication of targets in need of elimination will be paramount. Who is best qualified for this duty?"

Joshua said in response, "I can provide the team with backup while you guys hack the merchandise."

Dav nods as he said, "You got it. Cover our butts well."

With the issue of air cover and fire support covered, Dav continued,"Our ground teams will consists of two elements. One will be me with a hi-powered fletchette rifle and a spotter. The other will be the rest of the team, each with a hack card and a neurohelmet. Who want's on each team?"

Xir says "I'll... insert... with... the... second... team.  I... can't... pilot... the... frames..., but... I... can... get... the... team... there... safely.  I'll... have... my... personal... ship... pick... me... up... after... so... I... can... battle... next... to... my... team..."

Xir brings it's tentacles up to speak. "I'll... need... a... little... time... to... finish... growing... my... weapons... and... equipment.  I'll... also... use... my... ship... at... some... point... during... the... mission..."

Steven smiled and raised his hand asking, "What is needed to be hacked to infiltrate properly and what gear is required to perform this mission successfully?"

Dav nods as he pulls a data chip out of his pocket, "Here are the override codes Blackwell has provided to take possession of the frames onsite, a gift from Justin and jimmy." Dav hands the chip to Steven, stating: "You can do the hacking and spotting part of the plan."

After thinking on it a couple moments Xir says "  Instead... of... my... ship... I'll... build... a... new... toy... and... use... it.  What... equipment... or... personnel... are... coming?"

Steven says "the plan is everyone is to be equipped with an anti personal weapon, some sort of body armor, and data chips that already preinstalled with programing to hijack the targeted mecha"

Xir looks at Steven "You... will... hack... security... doors... and... systems?  I'll... protect... you... on... the... way.  Dav,... will... you... supply... the... pilots... for... these... mecha?

Xir says to the group.  "If... we... don't... get... enough... man... power... for... this... plan..., I... have... a... plan... B... in... mind."

Dav responded to the general lack of persons attending this meeting and the concerns of man power, "I have several other offices around and can bring enough manpower to get in and secure the toys. Insertion may be a bit cramped, though." 

[[OOC: JP completed by Bullroarer4, SloanRocks2, Dimirhunterjsh2, and Shinoh01. Edited for grammar and clarity by Bullroarer4]]
Bullroarer4
Staff
Staff

Post by Bullroarer4 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Reservoir
New Masias
The King's Deck

Dav awaited his final hire in this enterprise.

Muk pushed his way through the doors of the bar, nearly having to crawl through on all fours. The bar instantly grew quiet as five man-sized Atraxians and what looked like a shifty-eyed ugly green child filed in behind him. A sense of unease settled over the bar.

The massive Atraxian looked around. “Oi, don’t worry ‘umies. Ain’t ‘ere ta start shit.” He bellowed. Everyone visibly relaxed and conversation resumed throughout the bar.

Now that he had made his intentions known, Muk turned his attention to the other Atraxians. “Braindaggah, fetch me a quart. The rest of ya lot, try not ta kill the ‘umies.” He ordered. The smaller Atraxians made a beeline for the bar. Muk looked around until he spotted Dav.

He made his way over to Dav and sat on the floor beside his table. “Oy. I hear yous the guy ta squawk at fer a job.”

"indeed I am, large one. I am looking for some additional muscle and perhaps a few permanent warriors" Looking a Muk, and the rest of his crew, Dav had his doubts. Muk's boys were proceeding to drink and yell, the beginnings of a ruckus brewing.

"We in The Black Forge have rules and a code we live by. If you are interested in joining permanently, you will have to abide by those rules. Do you understand?" Dav queried the large creature.

Muk snorted and considered this, furrowing his brows in concentration. After a moment, he nodded. “Da boys call me Muk Skullcrusha. Ol’ Muk can keep da grots in line. ‘E can follow ordas to.” He answered.

The little Traxling walked up with a mug of Full Deck bigger than he was, comically struggling to keep from spilling it all. “Dagnam brought da drink, boss!” He squeaked. Muk took the mug and the little guy climbed up his back, settling on his shoulder. Muk gave him a pat on the head with the useless metal pincer attached to his left wrist.

"then we can start you with a share and a half for you and a share for each of your..." Dav struggled with a complimentary word, and found himself at a loss. The other Atraxians were drinking scratching various orifices and generally being disgusting. Dav shook himself and finished with, "Your associates"

Dav extended his hand in the ancient custom to the large Atraxian, knowing this was likely the biggest mistake of his life.

Muk extended his pincer to touch Dav’s palm. “Muk… Err, we agrees. Won’t let ya down, boss.” He said, opening his mouth in a imitation of a smile that resembled a shark preparing to devour its prey.

[[OOC: JP completed by Bullroarer4 and ArsenicJohn.]]
edited for grammar and clarity by bullroarer4