[Wild Heart] Breaking the Ice

Roleplay that occurs inside the setting of Shattered Universe.
Jabonicus
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

[Wild Heart] Breaking the Ice

Post by Jabonicus » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:23 pm

Jill never had the fortune- Or misfortune, of riding on a swan boat for any particular reason. The circumstance simply never came up, in fact she was quite certain that at no point in her life had she ever seen a swan boat outside of cheap Romcom's. The idea of one made her shudder, and she almost considered abandoning the dating service last minute, even if it was all expenses paid, until she looked at the location. The name itself was unfamiliar to her but a brief search provided something that she couldn't quite get over or ignore.

It was a swan boat ride on a bloody ice planet.

She had to hand it to Wild Heart Romance, they knew how to make the ride there comfortable. The civilian transport vehicle was structured like a small car, though with plenty of space to lounge about in the back. As it broke into atmosphere, slowing down as the surface rapidly approached, Jill peered out the tinted glass at the shining beacon below. It was a frozen sea, the water itself turned solid under the touch of a lingering permafrost. Stormclouds threatened the horizon above, and icebergs warned of their own presence with crooked pillars and structures. A mediocre snowfall filled the harsh winds she could hear pound the sides of the transport. Just above the threatening clouds was the sun, the nearest star that shone a brilliant white, illuminating the frozen surface through the snow.

Under it all, she saw the 'Swan Boat' below, though the moment she saw it she truly questioned the title. The boat- Which she would personally call a large ship, was an icebreaker housing a glass dome with a pointed shape to match that of the front of the ship. It was sculpted to hold an obviously climate controlled deck, and in a way it closely resembled cruise ships that she had briefly seen in images before. If there was some swanlike design to the boat, she seemed to be missing it, but there was some odd, animal-like qualities and details that she could note, but much of it was too frosted over to make heads or tails of.

...All expenses paid? What was the game here? This wasn't cheap.

The brief paranoid curiosity faded as the woman in the passenger seat turned to her. "Your mystery date hasn't arrived yet, but will land shortly we do. Once we land, staff will take whatever belongings you need brought to your room. Rooms are separate, but like the contest says, anything you need is paid for." Jill almost immediately tuned her out the moment she went over the safety rules and tips that she no doubt had a script of. "-The boat does have staff available for handicap accessibility features, of course." She finished, with Jill only half listening. Jill wasn't sure how many days she'd be allowed or requested to stay, so she had packed a bit. Even if they were kicked off the boat by the end of the night, she would still prefer having overpacked rather than ending up only having two sets of clothes for several days.

Several sets of normal clothes, and her actual work gear, which was heavily insulated from the cold. She had no anticipation to actually wear it, but being on a planet like this without that extensive gear was not something she was willing to do, even if it did fill its own giant duffel-bag.

The transport quickly moved over to ship, hovering above a hatch that quickly opened just long enough to let the vessel slip within, softly touching the ground and opening the doors after a brief depressurization. Standing up and stretching her legs, she left her bags where they had been placed, glancing back to make sure that the staff did indeed grab them before the vessel took off once more. From what she could tell the transport dock was on the highest floor of the ship, connected to various other floors that she could simply hear buzzing with activity. If this didn't work out, at least they were far from the only ones on board.

She moved away from the unloading zone to sit down on a nearby bench, patiently waiting for whoever her date would be. Knowing how sketchy the whole process sounded, she half expected Creature to step off the next vessel, or some alien with four arms. Jill herself was an unassuming woman, somewhat dark skin with short, scraggly hair of a brown hue, and wearing comfortable and casual clothes, dark blue pants just under a purple hoodie. Naturally of course, her most unique feature was that the arms of her hoodie were tied off into knots, her arms visibly ending somewhere above the elbow.

Well, she hoped that, whoever it was, they would get off on the right foot.
Not a fan of combat oriented RP.
Noodles
Staff
Staff

Re: [Wild Heart] Breaking the Ice

Post by Noodles » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:34 pm

Ki had been looking forward to her blind date before she had even found out where and what it was going to be! She met lots of interesting people all the time at her restaurant on Port Endeavor, however, people rarely stayed long and were generally more interested in their own conversations than starting a new one with the owner herself, but when she found out she was going to go on a swan boat ride she was ecstatic! It sounded super cheesy, absolutely, there was no doubt about that one- that was part of the fun! The fact that it was on a giant snowball just made the idea sound even better! That was assuming that at least the boat was insulated! It wouldn't make sense for them to get sent out just to freeze to death, that wouldn't be very romantic in the slightest!

The excitement was only increased on her way there! Sitting alone in the transport was enough to make her mind wander to all the possibilities of who her date could possibly be! Male, Female, and anything in between- she hadn't the foggiest of who she'd be meeting and that was absolutely the most amazing part of all of it! The absolute lack of any real details about who she'd be meeting was both scary and exhilarating- and they'd be getting plenty of time to get to know one another.

She was hoping for things to go well- after all, she had to close her restaurant while she was gone and that was her only real source of income. At the very least she was hoping to make a new friend and have a good time, it'd been ages since she'd taken a vacation of any sort!

As the transport broke atmosphere Ki pressed her face against the window to take in the view!- before a rather large, and very unexpected ship came into view. She was puzzled to say the very least- every swan boat she had ever seen was small, just big enough for the two occupants inside, but the ship they were headed in the direction of was easily comparable to a cruise ship. Ki suddenly felt rather underprepared for what seemed like it had the potential for, at the very least, being a weekend trip. Her bags only contained another outfit in case she did something clumsy and made a mess of herself and a pair of pajamas in case it had turned into an overnight stay wherever the very normal swan boat ride she had been expecting was supposed to be.
Nevertheless!- She was there, and she was going to enjoy herself.

With a reminder that they had- in fact- landed from one of the Ship's staff members Ki was out of the transport and on her feet brushing the wrinkles out of her dress- A white halter dress covered in small, stylized foxes of various colors that really made her wavy lilac locks pop! Nothing fancy, but it was her absolute favorite dress.

"Your date should be just over there, Ma'am!- Your bags will be taken care of." The pilot of the transport promised her, motioning to the staff member that raised her bag up in her hands, just before he lifted off. Ki waved him off quite vigorously before turning about to scan the area for anyone that could possibly be her mysterious date! Fortunately, there was only one other person near where she had been dropped off that obviously wasn't part of the staff which left the young woman only one option to scurry over to!- With a deep breath, Ki approached the bench with whom she so boldly assumed was probably her date!

"Hello!" Ki chirped, "You aren't, by chance, waiting on a date from a contest, raffle -er- thing, are you?" She asked in just about the bubbliest tone of voice that was humanly possible.
Jabonicus
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Jabonicus » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:47 pm

The fact that Kiko Ki was human was one of the first things that Jill noted, given how the contest would have allowed for any sapient species to partake with little care as to how they matched up. She took a stand as Kiko approached, and she gave a brief nod of acknowledgement to the woman as well as a grin. "That's what I'm here for. My name's Jill, nice to meet you. I'd offer to shake your hand but mine seem to be preoccupied." She'd used the joke countless times to be perfectly honest, but it was as good an icebreaker as any. Though the girl seemed bubbly enough, maybe it wouldn't be fully necessary.

It was very apparent what Jill meant, given that both of her arms ended above her elbows. Not even prosthetics or cybernetics took their place, instead her shirts sleeves had just been tied off into knots. "So who might you be?"
Noodles
Staff
Staff

Post by Noodles » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Ki furrowed her brow for a moment, but just as soon raised it as she laughed- and quite freely- at Jill's joke, "I wasn't expecting someone with a sense of humor! Those sorts of people seem to be in shorter supply than I'd like." She noted, "I'm Kiko Ayane, but you can call me Ki!" She put her hands onto her hips so that she wasn't tempted to try to shake Jill's lack of hands or hug her without warning, "So, this is hardly what I call a 'Swan Boat'- but to be entirely honest this is all a good bit more exciting than a teeny little swan boat. Can't say I've ever been on a cruise on an ice planet- or, well- any sort of cruise ever." The woman's voice began to rise in excitement, "There's all sorts of things we could do here!- I'm assuming."

Ki crinkled up her nose for a moment, "Are you hungry?" She asked, as she remembered the purpose of them being there was not to listen to her go on and on while never leaving the unloading dock, "Because I am absolutely ready to get something to eat."
Jabonicus
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Jabonicus » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:38 am

"Sure, I could go for something to eat." Jill replied with a curt nod, stepping towards the staircase that led down onto the boat itself. One thing became apparent as the lower floors came into view, while the exterior of the ship had little to do with swans, the interior architect seemed to be absolutely obsessed with them. Bannisters, statues, fountains, anything that could vaguely be designed as a swan, or any place too barren or decoration had been appropriately 'swanitized.' To keep the designs from getting boring, colorations and actual designs for the swans seemed to have been taken with some artistic uniqueness.

"I've never been on a swan boat, stars, I don't think I've ever seen one in person and I'm not sure how much this counts as one. I grew up on an ice planet though, but nowhere near the oceans. Never had much use for icebreakers there." Jill herself seemed to cringe as her eyes caught the number of swan designs throughout the boat. "Well, looks like they're trying to compensate. Where are you from, by the way?" Jill walked along next to Kiko, giving her plenty of opportunity to be the one to lead them to wherever they were to eat, if she so chose to.
Noodles
Staff
Staff

Post by Noodles » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:22 pm

"Excellent!" Ki responded with all the same enthusiasm as she had greeted Jill with- and while Jill was interested in all the swan-themed decor, Ki's mind hand wandered more towards her current mission of feeding the both of them. It wasn't that she didn't notice them, because she did, it was more that she was far less interested in the decorations than her present company and the thought of food. She had a sharp eye for food and restaurants, but there were none anywhere near where they were at so it was probably safe to assume that they were on another deck altogether, "Mm?- If you mean where did I come from to get here- I came from Port Endeavor! Unless you mean, like, where I was born in which case I'm from Eden."

"Where are you from?" She asked after responding to the very same question. Ki had indeed taken the lead, although it was done subconsciously in her search for food, "If you don't mind sharing as well, that is!"
Jabonicus
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Jabonicus » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:28 pm

Eden? Jill had heard the planet before, of course, then again it could be an entirely different Eden. There were a lot of Eden's after all, and every prospective leader of a colony would love to be able to advertise the name. For a while it had been a pastime of hers to glance through various planet names, what they had been changed to, and other spiteful events out of simple arguments over names. "Tundra planet, we called the iceball 'Aisoyimstan.' It's a mouthful." She had regretfully looked at the list of all the suggested names when the colony was still being planned, and shockingly enough it was the easiest to pronounce of them.

"I've freelanced around a bit since then, but overall I haven't been off the planet too long. I've heard that Port Endeavour's a pretty popular place to live right about now. How long have you been there?" Jill asked as she shifted her pace to keep up with Ki. She kept her eyes open for any places to eat, but by the way that Ki strode forward with such determination, she felt like Ki had already observed the whole of the floor while Jill was still looking at the first few booths and stores. "I'm an engineer for the most part, what about you?"
Noodles
Staff
Staff

Post by Noodles » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:16 pm

Ki nodded, occasionally glancing at Jill so that the other woman could be certain that she was being listened to as she spoke while her green haired date tried to find the pair a place to eat. It would be much easier, and for more comfortable for them to properly talk and get to know one another once they were sitting down and enjoying a meal together- at least that's what she figured in her own mind- but she was doing her best to listen carefully to Jill! "Tundra planet, huh? Generally, I love the cold, but there's a difference between cold weather and 'tundra' weather." She responded somewhat thoughtfully, "I'd probably try to survive on a diet of as much hot chocolate as I could possibly stomach." Ki's pace slowed down and she pointed out a sign pointing towards the section of the ship for 'Dining', "Bingo."

"Oh!-I was one of the first people on the station once it was opened for the public, but only because I'm a business owner." She started to explain, "I'm a chef by trade! I run a noodle shop there, and I'm hoping to open up a couple of other restaurants so that I can expand the options I can offer people! There's just soooo many types of food, but unfortunately, It's best to limit each individual restaurant down to a theme. People tend to get nervous the more options you provide them with, over a certain amount."
Jabonicus
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Jabonicus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:40 pm

"I'm used to cold weather, and I don't really do too well in hot weather, but overall I've kind of lost my affection for colder climates." As comfortable as they were for her, the cold no longer held the same comforting embrace as it used to. The cold meant thicker clothing, the crunch of snow and the muting of incessant nature-noise. It meant warm fires and hot meals, and the slightly-too-cramped hovels of home. Yet, despite all its fond memories and pleasant connections, it brought a slight fear to her. An old fear, one of freezing and frostbite, a fear she didn't used to have. Now, however, she had experienced the horror of it, and did not come out unscathed. Now, no matter how brave she tried to be, she simply could not push away the connotation, the immediate connection to the memory. It was like visiting an aunt who's vase you broke, a bad memory that refused to stay buried.

"People also are wary of restaurants that have a wide variety." Jill noted as her eyes followed Ki more than they searched for a place to eat. "If you see a number of burgers on the menu of a noodles shop, people are inclined to believe that one or the other is bound to be of lesser quality. People expect... Specialization, when it comes to food." Broad observations, meant to fill the air a bit, Jill was mainly trying to get a read on Ki. She was energetic, obviously good with people. Jill felt as if you could place Ki in any hostess role and find her fitting the role like water. She was either a natural actor, or was somehow one of the enigmatic social butterflies of the universe. "But splitting up the restaurants is a good idea to bypass that, it also gives you some higher brand value."

Jill herself had a level of brand value, but it didn't extend past Aisoyimstan, and it mostly came from her father. It frustrated her in a way, her services were naturally seen as valuable because her fathers were of high quality. It was the source of their last fight, and the lingering thought was still sore, mostly because Jill had realized that, despite initiating it, she was in the wrong. "What do you think we should eat? Given the swan theme, I have a feeling it's going to be predominantly bird meat. Chickens, fowl, quail, something like that." Or something suitably alien. Her pallet was used to modified breeds of burrowing penguins, but she had eaten chicken once or twice. She actually didn't know if people ate swans.
Noodles
Staff
Staff

Post by Noodles » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:53 pm

"Ah, yes. This is very true. I get the very same feeling about places that try to serve everything. There are just some things you should stay away from- like pizza served in buffets, especially when pizza doesn't fit the culture they're trying to sell to you that they're representative of. I understand that they're trying to cater to those that don't quite have the stomach for some of their dishes, but if you can't handle it..." Ki let out a snort and put out a hand as if to tell herself to stop talking, "Sorry, didn't mean to start ranting to you- Regardless, if you ever find yourself visiting Port Endeavor you'll find that I serve only traditional noodle dishes! Anyways- Food. The current mission is to fill our bellies, not spend the whole time talking about food." She shot Jill one of those wide, toothy smiles as a silent apology for going on and on, "It's very possible if they're committed to this theme. We'll likely find some assortment of seafood. In my own personal experience, there's always at least one seafood dish on cruises like this. Meals offered just wouldn't be quite complete without a shrimp cocktail- ya'know?"

Occasionally Ki would look over to Jill to gauge her reactions to the words coming out of her mouth- She was partly afraid that perhaps she was coming on too strong, but she was a firm believer in always being yourself. Especially when hoping to make a new connection- romantic or otherwise. So far her date was much more reserved than she was, but she rarely met anyway as lively as herself and probably for the best. She doubted that two people with the same energy level as herself would make for good company.

"Really it comes down to how adventurous you'd like to be!- Are you in a fowl mood or perhaps you're feeling a little fishy?" Ki asked, her expression almost entirely serious. It was clear enough that she was putting up incredible effort to contain laughter at her own, horribly unfunny jokes, "We can probably even load up on both, depending on how hungry you are! Personally, that's likely what I'm going to try to do if it isn't too inconvenient. Depends on food placement, really."
Jabonicus
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Jabonicus » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:32 am

Ki's attempts at humor at least managed to get a smirk and a brief exhale from Jill before she responded. "Let's go with seafood then, I haven't eaten much of it... Ever." It was largely because she never lived in a place where seafood was easy to come by. On her home planet, the planet was mostly a tundra, and the few frozen 'seas' that it had were so distant that it made little sense to tread out so far to go ice-fishing on the exposed surface of water that no one really knew the depth of, and that included the depth of the ice and the water below. As a child she had heard horror stories of aquatic things that could burrow through the surface ice, and such things had filled her nightmares enough to keep her from ever wanting to stray to the frozen coasts. The frozen water was the main reason that kept her at bay.

Other places she had lived had a wealth of other foods, but seafood was a bit unique in that it either tasted poor because of poor fish-farming conditions, or it was decent meat ruined by extensive preservatives for space-travel. Jill wasn't sure if anything lived in the waters below the ship, or if they simply had fish stored on board, but either way, it was bound to be better, if only marginally, than anything she had before.

Jill perked up as a handful of restaurants came into view, one of which was adorned with so many images and murals of fish, sea shells, and water, that anyone who knew what 'seafood' was would have a clear idea of what the place specialized in. "Well, speak of the devil." Jill chimed as her pace shifted forward. However, her gnawing stomach was suddenly halted as something crossed their path, ignoring them, but large enough to cause a second take from the armless woman.

It was, for all intents and purposes, a swan. However it was a swan in the same way that a polar bear was in the same genus as a black bear. It was rightly massive, almost standing as tall as the two woman as it waddled forward, followed by a secondary, slightly smaller swan. Clearly genetically modified for size, and Jill hoped said modification covered its temperament as well. Around the bottom of its long neck was a collar, with a name tag that jingled as it walked. Jill slowed, as if cautious or unwilling to cross the creature too suddenly. "Well that's... Different." She remarked, the pair of swans coming to a halt, looking around through the light crowd.