Kiwomian Civil War Aid from AFL

With one disaster after another, the crew of the Edward Deming are stretched thin after another incident places their friends and family in danger...Some will go to great lengths to achieve their goals, though others may not be so eager to make a Faustian bargain.
Lone_badass
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Kiwomian Civil War Aid from AFL

Post by Lone_badass » Sat May 18, 2019 1:32 pm

From the kiwomian homeworld, Ecur Groups Com Operator Hailed the Edward deeming Requesting aid with the situation.

"hailing The Edward deeming this is Com operator Jamie Rose We are requesting assistance Things have gotten really out of hand down here since the civil war started. Please respond."
they set the distress message on repeat till they receive the response

"We have wounded piling up from both friendly and our men and women piling up every day and not enough medical supplies or staff to help with the wounded," Jamie responded as sounds of paperwork can be heard thrashing about.

"Our hunter group aided by auxiliary squads are cut off from our fob they had been scavaging for much-needed supplies both medical and food but also ammunition. They are being bombarded by some hidden emplacements and rushes from hostile kiwomian units aided by some form of merc group that's also attacking Tai pan outposts and we can't get to them because some sob with a laser musket in the old city district keeps sniping our relief forces and we have nothing that can stand up to laser fire. currently, lance corporal Damion is scouting out a route to flank the sniper with his HK unit but that will take time. please, anything you can do to help would be great."
uso
Staff
Staff

Re: Kiwomian Civil War Aid from AFL

Post by uso » Sat May 18, 2019 5:48 pm

Edward Deming,
CIC

Somnya had the message play on repeat over the speakers in the CIC a few times for Heram's benefit. The elven captain watching the human typing away from her position looming over the display table in the center of the room. The tapping of the metallic finger against the table was getting louder and louder as she waited for some kind of response. Her impatience with the man finally coming to a head as she spoke up.

"Well?"

Heram didn't even bother to look up.

"I don't have a plan in mind." He stated, "It is a complex situation. We do not have an easy way to involve ourselves."

It was an answer that Somnya clearly didn't like, standing upright, crossing her arms, a distasteful look on her face.

"I doubt you genuinely have nothing in mind, no plan, no scheme to get what you want out of this?" It was clear Somnya wanted to get involved. She was downright eager... far more so than an Alliance officer should be when confronting a clearly military situation. "Your negotiations with Taipan failed on the Adlet homeworld, though perhaps we wouldn't be in this situation if you had been more forceful with Hoshiko?" Somnya replied, only needing a moment's consideration to put forward her own plan, "We have the Kiwomian Queen, and could supply them with all the G8 launchers they'd need. We could pull some strings to get a medical ship to their homeworld too."
Ray_Of_Meep
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Sat May 18, 2019 6:31 pm

Geiben steps up and brings his hands down onto the command console, pulling up a geographical map of the Kiwomian homeworld. "With all due respect, ma'am, I don't think anyone could've dealt with the Taianese Vice Admiral. She didn't have diplomacy in mind to begin with." He looks up at his commanding officer. Captain Somnya... quite the forceful woman. Well, that goes for most of the Second Children that become officers, all trying to compensate for their declining race. Can't blame them. "I imagine that pressing Hoshiko with arms to back us up would've only further enabled her. Judging by how her officers acted, they were more than willing to fight, and we all know what would've happened afterwards, regardless of who came out on top."

"But I digress." The commander straightens up and walks around the table, swiping away the geographical map, dotting above it three times, bringing up three 3-D holographic images. "The way I see it, we have three ways to go about this, and it can be a combination of any of them." "The first," Geiben points to the image of a standard Alliance shuttle, the kind Enid piloted on the Adlet homeworld, "Is to simply provide supplies, weapons, medicine, and the like, just as you proposed, captain."

He then points to the image of the Edward Demming itself. "Second, the nuclear option, is to contribute direct military intervention. This science vessel is pretty well armed, espeacially compared to the Kiwomian's non-existent capital ship fleet. Furthermore, we have quite a large contingent of well-trained marines. If we really wanted to put a boot down on a neck, it's not in the realm of impossibility."

"However, neither option one nor two would be necessarily effective without a clear idea of what's going on, or who we should be supporting. Which leads to the independent third option..." Geiben brings his hand over the image of a man. "Much of the Ecur force is already on the ground. It'd wouldn't be far-fetched to send down Ecur squad on-board the Edward Demming. Going into the fight wouldn't be their mission though." He looks at Heram Wazu. "We need a diplomat down there to establish our presence. I recommend either Mr. Wazu or Quarum Wazu. I'd like Doctor Zenigata to follow along to gain experience, and have Enid be their air support."
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Sun May 19, 2019 7:08 am

"I'm not sending my sister into a war zone." Heram's response came quickly, before even Somnya could get a word in.

Somnya did take a moment to consider Geiben's response. There was a hefty pause between Heram's words and her own. "We need a better picture of what is going on. We know we need to work around Taipan's involvement, but we also need to apply force properly. If Ecur squad has already jumped the gun, we could have them run our ground game, determine who the players are, and determine how best to react. I do think Hoshiko would attach regardless, and our focus should be on enabling the Kiwomians to defend themselves."

"It is not our responsibility to manage someone else's civil war. We also can not take on Taipan at this time. We can mitigate the damage being done, but we can't get any more involved without making the situation worse for everyone." Heram added, "If we start officially sending people, we're going to get drawn into a larger engagement."

"Drones then?" Somnya asked, smiling a bit. She could see that crack in Heram's argument. He left it open for allowing involvement, knowing Heram he would want to send in robots, she just had to demonstrate that robots wouldn't work and he'd have to default back to sending people. "Getting face to face with the locals is necessary for counter-insurgency style operations. Even if we send a battalion of cupcakes we still need someone there to develop our relationships with the locals."
Ray_Of_Meep
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Tue May 21, 2019 12:35 pm

"Agreed. Which is why I further recommend sending down Ecur squad and some sort of diplomat." Geiben taps the hologram of the soldier again for emphasis. "Even if it's not you or your sister, Mr. Wazu, we still need someone down there to make the talking happen. Ecur squad, by their very nature of having to deal with monsters on their home-station, are pretty good at handling insurmountable odds. However, they still need someone to be their mouthpiece. I'd say assign Zenigata alone to the task, but---" He pauses. "---the doctor hasn't been in the best mental state."

"To bring it a few steps back, we need to at least evacuate the Ecur personnel down on the ground. They are Alliance personnel at this point. As for why we need to send people down in the first place, well, through Ecur, we already have. We'll have to try to attempt a diplomatic solution, else we tarnish the Alliance's reputation." The commander scratches his short beard, visibly frustrated. "Of course, I understand the risk of a death spiral, but as the greater power here, I don't think we have a choice."
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Sat May 25, 2019 9:21 am

Heram looked up from what he was doing, and took a brief glance at the holograms on display,

"We need an asymmetric approach." He declared. The direct approaches that had been placed on the table so far weren't going to yield the results they wanted in the time frame that they wanted. These solutions all ranged from bad to worse, a great opportunity for Heram to show why they keep him around, "Forget Ecur squad and the Deming for right now. We need a new way to get boots on the ground. We need a new method for pressuring Taipan to back off. We need an end-game for resolving the Civil War that includes OUR exit strategy. This all needs to be done in an abbreviated time-frame."

"First off, everyone needs to do some reading. Myself Included. Any research paper on the after-effects of civil wars, the best ways of ending them, and what factors cause them. Then anything relating to Imperialism and methods of successfully disrupting occupying forces. We'll also need a refresher on negotiated settlements in relation to Taipan."

Heram was already throwing research papers into the group's share folders as he read them. His own software skimming and summarizing the main points so he could make faster decisions.

"Lets consider ways to get involved that don't involve us for the moment. Who else goes to their homeworld? Trade groups? Perhaps we could put together a mercy-mission led by a hospital ship? Religious Groups? Start getting together that list so we can start figuring out our entry points.

Then pressure on Taipan. What possible things do we have to work with here other than the resources on Paradise and the personal history of Hoshiko? Do we have any goals to work with other than Taipan wanting to save face? Train their soldiers? How do we frame our actions in such a way that Taipan will accept the outcome?

Finally: Exit Strategy. Rebels gonna rebel, and a negotiated peace settlement is always less likely to succeed long term than rebel victory. Do we try for a two-state solution? Get each party to their respective corners? Do we just aim to stop the fighting? Can we even make this determination without more information?"
Ray_Of_Meep
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Sat May 25, 2019 1:52 pm

Geiben nods in agreement, pulling away the holograms he put on the screen, replacing it with that of the Sibere system, containing a gas giant and the Kiwomi homeworld, Ulimwengu Wa Kifo. He then puts the system with respect to the greater sector, specifically in relationship to the Taianese empire. "Judging by the information the Ecur squad on the ground sent us, the Kiwomians have essentially fallen into anarchy, with multiple factions vying for control." His eyebrows knit. Dummkopfs. Damn the Taianese for their carelessness, and damn the Kiwomians for their stupidity. If Hoshiko didn't provoke the Kiwomians during the peace summit, and if the Kiwomians didn't decide to raid the largest nation in the sector, thousands, if not millions would be dying right now for no reason.

He looks back at Mr. Wazu. "You're right, there are a lot of questions to consider here, and a limited amount of time. We need to find answers first, before any decision making happens. There's the state of the Kiwomians, the intentions of the Taianese, and our own capabilities. To deal with the Kiwomians, we need to support Ecur personnel already on the ground. Regardless of whatever action we take next, we have full right to aid our own people first, whether it be to evacuate them or to relieve them with troops of our own. I still recommend sending down people to talk to the factions present. However, it is perhaps best if we first ask Alliance naval command for their opinion. Despite our firepower, we're still a survey vessel, and in no position to make international decisions for the Alliance as a whole without the leadership's consent." The commander glances at the captain, searching for support in her eyes, before continuing back at Mr. Wazu, his tone going stern. "I'm going to do what I have to to save Alliance soldiers on the ground, Mr. Wazu, even if it means deploying Green Squad and Ecur Squad. As for the rest of this political mess, I'm afraid we'll have to talk to whoever's in charge of the Taianese deployed here and find out what they want, be it annexation, apology, or pure sadism."
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Sat May 25, 2019 2:33 pm

"Ecur squad went down there on their own and the Alliance has already seeded authority for this situation to Taipan. Any action would need to be approved by Alliance command." Somnya stated firmly, there wasn't a bit of support in her eyes for Geiben. Her judgement was firm and unyielding. "We will be respecting the chain of command regardless of our personal feelings on the matter... though the passion for the job is appreciated. These are 'our' people down there, so we do bare some responsibility for their actions regardless of how they got to the planet."

She paused for a moment, the next few words she would have to say would leave a bad taste in her mouth.

"We will need to have Ecur squad's members return to Hawking. Transmit a request to them to leave the area and have a more official ruling on just what kind of support they will be allowed to provide."

Heram would nod, there was much to consider after all. "That means she is sympathetic to your cause, but will enforce the rules. Of course she can't say that she agrees with you. It is her responsibility to enforce the rules strictly."

"If there isn't a rule against psychoanalyzing the captain, I will be sure to have one put in place," Somnya added, her attention now on Heram.

"Of course," He replied, backing off a bit, "Ecur squad has a timetable for withdraw now regardless. They will need to gather what information they can before they are required to pull out. Further interaction will need to have a good non-military reason for intervention. You'll have to make due without Green-Squad or the Edward Deming's support. I would love to hear your ideas first Geiben."
Ray_Of_Meep
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Sat May 25, 2019 4:43 pm

The commander simply shrugs. "As much as I'd like to intervene as save lives here, the Captain's right. We'd have to go through command to take action here. The best we can do right now is evacuate our own soldiers." Despite Geiben's previous call to action, his response is strangely calm. There isn't a single sign of regret or hesitation in his demeanor as he goes for a comms console. "Jamie Rose, this is Commander Geiben Folami of the IAS Edward Deming. Your orders are to retreat to your base and prepare for evacuation. All offensive operations are to cease at once. Do not engage hostiles unless you or civilians nearby are in immediate danger. Until the evacuation shuttles arrive, you are free to provide medical supplies to civilians, and refuge in your HQ. We'll keep you updated on our ETA. Out."

Geiben looks back at the Captain and at Mr. Wazu. "I still recommend our own Ecur squad to go in and aid in the defense and evacuation efforts. I ask that we send Enid in as their pilot because, frankly, we don't have anyone else with the training background she has."
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Mon May 27, 2019 2:05 pm

"Perhaps there is other work that I should attend to, if you'll excuse me," Heram said, getting up from the table and closing out his displays, heading out towards the exit. Somnya would wait for the man to leave, allowing the door to close behind him before continuing.

"Stating my personal opinions on this matter would be inappropriate." She said, looking directly at Geiben. "You will also be expected to tow the line. When not in uniform you may be afforded certain extra leeway with your actions, but you still represent the military of the Interstellar Alliance. We also have an obligation to keep people like Heram Wazu in line. That means not turning a blind eye to his actions, and being aware of the intentions of even their seemingly benign actions.

That being said, have Ecur squad prepare to pull out. We should be able to arrange for civilian transportation out of that area of operations."
Ray_Of_Meep
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Ray_Of_Meep » Wed May 29, 2019 11:49 am

"Understood, Captain." Geiben nods, putting up an indifferent attitude. "I'll inform Enid to get the shuttle ready for evac ops." He goes back to the comms console, pinging the pilot, before standing straight up again and silently eyeing the door. Heram Wazu... that wasn't going to be the last of his hand in all this, given the man's track record before. What is he to do when the inevitable comes?