Chapter 06: Forming Requirements

With one disaster after another, the crew of the Edward Deming are stretched thin after another incident places their friends and family in danger...Some will go to great lengths to achieve their goals, though others may not be so eager to make a Faustian bargain.
uso
Staff
Staff

Chapter 06: Forming Requirements

Post by uso » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:43 pm

IAS Edward Deming,
Private Diplomatic Room #4,

Heram would close the door to the private diplomatic room. There was a table here, some nice sofas to sit on, and more importantly some pretty expensive electronic dampening systems to prevent anyone from listening in on them.

“I think you have a better understanding of what we are all dealing with after the first part of the summit.” His words were directed at the Kiwomian’s Queen… though they certainly also applied to Zenigata, who had been helping manage the relationship between the Kiwomian’s and the alliance. “If Taipan decided to come after us, it would make things quite difficult and we already have a formidable military force. Isolated as it is, I imagine your people would not fare well on their own. I also imagine it would be quite difficult for you to build up your forces, and a true relationship with the Interstellar Alliance could be years away.

However,

I have a proposal that can benefit us both. We work together to develop dual-use technologies that can improve your economy and fund your defense. We can also consult on your military deployments to make the best use of what you already have. If we can develop your ability to self-fund your own military I think it will improve the situation for everyone involved.”

Zenigata honestly wasn’t in the mood for this, he didn’t feel up for it at all. His heart was still racing and he was just slumped somewhat. His arms on the table as he had a hand against the side of his head. He doomed everything, his tribe, and countless others. This wasn’t suppose to be the way things went, this wasn’t….good. Not at all. It was hard to listen to Wazu as the defeated Adlet’s mind was swimming with the negativity that was so easily conjured up. Getting lost in his head was far too easy.

“Y….You know how Kaskae Taqukaq is….he’ll refuse.” Zenigata managed to speak. “It was tricky enough to get him to accept even the medical equipment. He’ll stand firm on his beliefs and the Council will no doubt side with him. The Shaman might see the aid that such tech will bring but….in the end, Council will decide which is better.”

And they would decide against the technology, the advance weapons, and armor. They would want their ways preserved and not consumed by something metallic.

The Kiwomian queen nodded “boots on the ground we can handle even is space to a degree since we use guerrilla warfare tactics making every inch the enemy gets have heavy casualties. but, we lack our biggest ship and if we could get your help in clearing it out and removing it from the swamp we would be able to get her up and running again properly.”

The queen turned to Zen “I’m aware your people don't like tech so a solution is im having a old friend pay for mercs as well as we will give you army soldiers and have our navy in warp ready positions to stall them as long as needed till you can defend yourself.”

“I was hoping to speak to you about that later Zenigata,” Heram said, nodding along as the situation was explained by the two guests, “While I can extend the same offer to you as well, I think there are special considerations for your circumstance. While your people may be anti-technology, and they may be unwilling to share their domestic lives… I imagine you have more options when it comes to the territory around your planet? I was thinking we could build an outpost on your world’s moon, and develop it into a fortress that will hold Taipan at bay. Though perhaps we should discuss this in detail between ourselves later?”

He would then turn his attention to the Kiwomian,

“While I trust that you can handle yourselves on the ground, Taipan’s force will be overwhelming in space. If you can not match them there, then your options are quite limited for defending your homeworld from the ground. Building your fleet is certainly the place to start. I take it that means you are interested in this alliance enough for my team to begin discovery work? They can start hashing out the details and provide you with a more official agreement while we get started.”

Speak to him later on that? On what? Wasn’t that part of what they were discussing here? Whatever, he was just having too many things clashing around in his head at the moment.

“Allowing outsiders into the tribe is….difficult in a small way. Granted, the most outsiders ever are, are other adlets. So the Council doesn’t have to take into account as many things. But with a full out outsider who has no idea of customs or traditions, the Council will debate more on letting outsiders in.” Zenigata replied. “Since we have no means to get to the moon, that’s...honestly the safer bet. Some adlet tribes are still nomadic, so territories change. And with how technology can affect prey in the area, it’s even more of a risk.”

That was true. Loud sounds could scare off prey. Making hunts useless or having to go out farther. And the farther one strays from their own territory, the risk of running into another’s could grow. Along with threat of predators. Still, it was risky. No matter what was done, it was a risky thing.

“Probably best…” Zenigata replied in regards to the discussing it later in private.

For now, the Kiwomians were more important. It was why he was here….and yet….he managed to get his entire species involved when only his tribe should. His tribe shouldn’t be involved!! None of his kind should be.

“If mercenaries just show up there, the tribe won’t take to them well. They might see them as a threat if they just show up. It’s...best to have me there at least when they get there. So I can tell my tribe that they aren’t a threat and thus no one gets slaughtered due to misconceptions.” Zenigata said to the Queen.

The queen looked to Heram. “I would not mind the help and relations Heram, but do not coddle us my people would gladly die to protect allies we don't fear it we embrace it as another chapter to oneself journey to be one with the elders.” leaning back in the chair she looked at both of them “now if you wouldn't mind Heram you already owe my people for what we did at Cambridge and assisting in your rescue so i would appreciate it if you would stop dancing around these private meeting and be straight forward i need help getting the kraken our crown jewel of our people removed from the lake of our planet she's a great vessel 96 miles long and
36 miles wide.”

“Then we will start there. Send me what information you have on it and we will begin creating a plan. The Edward Deming can be there after the summit to start the preliminary work.”

It was pretty bold of her to make demands this early. Heram did his best to gloss over how it put him on the backfoot. Though, perhaps he did owe them for their help during the New Cambridge River Incident only a few days ago. That particular disaster was still ongoing too…

“While I do appreciate your help, and your willingness to sacrifice… I do not intend to win a war by letting your people die for their nation.”

Focus….that was getting harder to do. Talk of war and people dying for their nation, nope. It was just throwing his mind back into the negative space that was easily overshadowing things.

“Hopefully deaths can be avoided, while death is important in your culture it’s still….not a desirable outcome for everyone.” Zenigata started. “It is a good thought to have some hope that most of your people can live to see the rise of the nation. After all, getting The Kraken back will certainly boost their spirits right?”

The queen nodded to Zen, “yes this would but their comes some issues were not sure how much stuff has managed to nest itself in there since we last went there, the last trip we took is how we found frank in the state he’s in currently that was 60 years ago meaning things could be a lot worse hence why clearing it out with low damage to the ship is idea so no explosives and no high caliber weapons.”

“If we can determine that the ship is structurally sound, and get it into orbit, exposing much of it to the vacuum of space should be enough to clear it out. Are there any other specifics we need to address?” Heram asked, “Or can we move on to Zenigata’s situation?”
“There’s the concern of if that engine in the ship will still run. If we can’t get into orbit, what then to deal with the creatures in it?” Zenigata asked uncertainty, though having no other ideas on what else to discuss besides that small thing.

“That is something we will have to deal with when we come to it. An engineering team will have to be on site before we can determine what we need. A number of anti-gravity systems and containerized engines should be enough to get anything to orbit. The bulk of that we may be able to scavenge from part repositories on Hawking.” Heram said, “I have a reputation as a great engineer to uphold after all!”

The kiwomian queen sighed, “I'd prefer it if you didn't launch it into space and actually clear it out last thing I need is my people getting upset that it falls apart more while being blasted out of atmosphere think with your mind not your guns Heram!” She exclaimed clearly angry at the thought of launching it into space.

The adlet had nothing else to really give to the conversation as he sank in his chair. Struggling even more to focus. Think….think? Think on what? Disaster? Things blowing up? Causing an entire species to go extinct? It was...so hard to even think straight now. The adlet ended up looking towards the table, zoning out basically as the conversation seemed to hit a debate point.

“Very well, we will take a slower approach to the launch…” Heram said.
Last edited by uso on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Chapter 6: Forming Requirements

Post by Readlliea » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:54 pm

"Ex...excuse me..." Zenigata managed to get out as he stood up.

The adlet didn't even wait for a response or anything, he merely fast walked out of the room. He couldn't do this, he couldn't take it!! How was he suppose to help when he doomed his own race to extinction? His stomach twisted in knots with that thought, his tail hung low as he made his way to a different room. Was this his quarters? Yes, yes it was. The medical supplies and traces of dog fur on the ground were proof enough of that. Once through the door, his legs gave beneath him and he just fell to his rear on the ground. His heart beating faster due to anxiety and fear.

"What are we going to do...?" Zenigata muttered to himself, staring down at the floor.
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:20 pm

"We're going to make it impossible for Taipan to do what they want in your home system." Heram explained, Zenigata needed him to sound confident after all. It didn't matter if his plan would work right now, just that he had one. A focus on its completion would help Zenigata deal with the worry and anxiety.

There were other concerns of course. No doubt he would need to speak with Hoshiko after this was all over. He still didn't have a reliable back-channel into Taipan and that could blow up in his face at any moment.

Just another problem on the ever-growing pile of problems being discovered tonight.

"We will send a combat engineer group to your homeworld's moon to get started. They can begin the development of the defenses. Meanwhile we should focus HERE on the diplomatic aspect. An official agreement between yourself and the Alliance regarding your people should be in place. It will give a bit more legitimacy to what we're about to do."
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:31 pm

"HOw?! They're conquering things left and right!" ZEnigata questioned as he looked over his shoulder at Wazu.

The adlet ran his fingers through his hair as he took a sharp breathe in. His heart feeling ready to skip a few beats as his stomach twisted alongside it.

"I can't speak on the behalf of every single tribe, Heram!! I can't even speak for the Kiwomians to help them. I just fucked it all over!!" ZEnigata retorted as he stood up and started to pace. "My father's tribe is the only one that is in a agreement with you, that's it. The entire planet is full of different variuos tribes that each have their own Kaskae, their own Shaman and Council that help the Kaskae make the choices that keep the tribe stable! I'm the worst choice to represent them all!!!"

His tail was partially between his legs as he allowed his mind to focus on the panic, his heart beating faster. Just making him feel worse as he paced there.
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:05 pm

"We work faster, and focus on just what will aid us most. A small, well motivated, group can respond rapidly. Our goal should be to change the situation before the machinery of Taipan can get going.

It will be continual innovation and asymmetric thinking that will allow us to win."

Wazu looked at Zenigata like he should know what he was talking about... but it slowly washed over him that Zenigata didn't have a doctorate in large scale explosions, and would require a bit more explanation.

"We don't have to beat them in an open fight. We just have to make it unreasonable for them to come after your people. An entanglement with the Interstellar Alliance in your home system will make it that much more complicated for them to attack. Placing defenses on your moon will also require they make a commitment if they want to get close. If we can also get some other powers to pitch in it could help as well. The bigger a problem we make this, the more they will likely just... leave it be.

Taipan, like anyone, has limited resources and a large amount of other things they need to focus on."
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:29 pm

"And what if she already gave commands to go to my planet? What if during the summit she had some little ability that she used to tell her fleets to start rounding us up?!" Zenigata questioned as he stood there. "What if by time we're able to enact this plan and start work, it's already too late? And everything is gone?!!"

What was their to do? The plan sounded...fine. It was fine. But...what if they were already too late? A super nation had access to some higher grade stuff after all. It would be easy to send a message out during the meeting. Zenigata's face paled greatly as he stood there. Air felt like something he wasn't going to get much of at the moment despite his efforts. Leaning against a wall, he slowly slid down it and took a seat on the ground. His heart racing as a shaky hand reached for his chest. Grasping the area as he shuddered.

"I....idon....don't think...anything's on the moon......nev...er...been there...." Zenigata rasped out.
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:14 pm

"She won't be able to act before us." Heram said confidently, "She is working with the same limitations we are, and we are moving right away. At best she could expect to arrive at the same time... and we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Are you capable of continuing here as a diplomat? Or do you need to take a break?"
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:35 pm

"After all this....after how much I screwed up, YOU still want me here?!! I just got a hit on my entire species?!!" Zenigata questioned as he sat there, tightening the grip on the fabric of his shirt over his chest. "Why.......don't you see how bad of a idea this is?"

His father was the Kaskae, he was jsut a medic....a medic. A medic who had a talent for messing things up.
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:43 pm

"I put you in this position. The fault is as much mine as it is yours." Heram responded. "Consider this a learning experience... and perhaps a rush-order for diplomacy with your people."
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:47 pm

"This whole thing wouldn't have happened if I wasn't here!! My people wouldn't have been put in danger, they would be fine!!" Zenigata retorted. "Rush order? We have nothing to do with the summit, we have no place there. I was just there to help the Kiwomians and I couldn't even do that, I ended up dragging my people into something they shouldn't have!!! The adlets have no reason to be here, no reason to be represented. And what do I do? I get them all a big target because I was a fucking dumbass.....and...."

The adlet started to breathe heavily, struggling to feel like any air was actually getting into his lungs as his chest burned. Bringing his legs closer to him, he merely hugged them as he sat there. It looked a little odd due to the shape of his legs but it was still possible position for him to take; granted not a painless one.

"I can't.....i can't....." Zenigata muttered, shoulders shaking.
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:26 pm

Heram nodded,

"Go rest. You can't let your anxiety control you. Right now you need to work on you. Improve your situation so you can help others."

Perhaps it was too much excitement for one day, perhaps the weight of such things was just too much. Either way, he needed Zenigata to be as capable as he was earlier.

"If it makes you feel any better, you don't have any choice in the matter. You have to overcome this or people will die. Don't let them down."
Readlliea
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post by Readlliea » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:14 pm

"No. That DOESN'T make me feel better. IT doesn't make me feel even a ounce better!!" Zenigata retorted. "It just proves even more, that the only son of the Kaskae can't help and only make things fucking worse!!"

The adlet managed to look up at Heram. It didn't make him feel better, how could it? He had made a mistake and it was only natural to fix it. But throwing that in his face, it didn't help.

"That's all Toklo does....make a mess of things..." Zenigata muttered, though loud enough for Heram to hear.

To Heram it was a weird word, a name that was dropped earlier at the summit.
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 pm

It certainly wasn't a name he was familiar with, though one assigned to Zenigata none the less... perhaps one more local to her homeworld.

Zenigata was certainly not of use to him in this state. The question of how to resolve Zenigata's problems was still unanswered.

"You will be unable to do anything to help your people if you continue to worry about yourself in such a way. You, and your people, can not hide from the universe in hopes the worst will pass you by. This will happen regardless of your participation, and if you do not participate you can be sure that someone else will decide your fate."