[The Gentle Breeze] The Fight for Rights - Chapter 1

Society in The Empire of Tai Pan is divided into three tiers. The 1st Class Taianese themselves, the 2nd Class who got the gene mods necessary to become Taianese in body but not mind, and finally, the 3rd Class. All the riff-raff too poor or without the social and political ties necessary to get their hands on those expensive yet wonderful gene mods. Segregated and with fewer rights, there's little room to move up in society. But, one Taianese woman in particular is wondering if this should change. Can you prove yourself to her in this story of combat, slice of life boredom, and bizarre reality?
Daran Ist'Ladaren
Ensign
Ensign

Re: [The Gentle Breeze] The Fight for Rights - Chapter 1

Post by Daran Ist'Ladaren » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:22 pm

"Ya know, just cause they don't want to talk, doesn't mean they won't," Jayden said, before her ears flattened at the following comments. She turned her head abruptly with a snort. "It was a fucking joke," She muttered, clutching her rifle closer to her body, her tail swaying behind her slowly. "Some people tell them. Guess it's my fault for expecting a bunch of Taianese to laugh at them," She grumbled, taking a couple long steps. "Well, I guess given I'm not even a third class citizen, I should take the lead. Wouldn't want anyone important to step on anything unpleasant," She added loud enough to be heard clearly, but not to be shouting obnoxiously, looking over her suits control panel to find the picture that meant she could turn invisible, activating it and melting into the scenery. "I don't see the point in sneaking. Personally, I would be more likely to attack a bunch of people who popped out of thin air, than people I see coming. Not like we need a bigger club for these baby seals."
Immortal Cyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Immortal Cyan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 pm

Mei Xing jumped from the dropship in the graceful manner of a fox, before quickly moving around the front of the dropship in order to secure the perimeter and to form a rear guard for the party once the group began to move up. She stayed silent as the tactical recon drones took off from the ship, only acknowledging Sif’s question with a frown which was obviously concealed by the armored helmet. However, once the group got moving, Mei found that she couldn’t stifle the idea this was a qualifying mission of some sort, meant simply to assess the combat capabilities of the provisional third-class unit, but not to test or challenge them in any way.

“So...umm...Shàoxiào, how are we supposed to be proving our mettle if this is what we’re going up against? Even if we are challenged in some way during this op, from an outside perspective it looks like we’re just massacring a whole bunch of primitives who obviously pose no threat to us. Maybe we end up encountering magic weapons, but a lot of the Taianese don’t even believe that it exists! They’ll just think that we’re lying to get attention or something.”
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CadetNewb » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:13 am

"I knew it was a joke, but I just thought you should know," Sif's flat voice replied. "Also, I'm Second Class, so not really Taianese anyways," the snowy tigress added, briefly scratching the chin of helmet in thought. "As for the actual Taianese, they hold you at that low regard, but remember that we don't, so please stay alive. Also, I suggest using their...peculiar prejudice to your advantage, but not too much or else that may happen," their squad leader tried to explain as they started entering the forest. There was a small dirt path beaten in by travelers most likely, and following that, according to their readouts, would have lead them right into the gathering people a good few minutes away. "As for sneaking, the Taianese like to activate their camouflage, then all de-camouflage at once or in sequence within view to intimidate. We can consider doing the same, since it's actually pretty fun," Sif's plain voice admitted over the comms, a hint of annoyance in her admission.

"As for proving our mettle - " the snowy haired Tigress began to address Mei, " - the average Taianese would simply do just that, or use stun setting and not bother with smaller details. They are very arrogant, though, they are aware of magic. Grudgingly. The elves would not have come so close to killing them all without it otherwise," Sif explained to the genetically engineered kitsune. "Sakamoto believes we will be more cautious and...open minded," she explained. "I suspect that may be the reason behind this particular assignment."

Like giant cuttlefish, they almost seamlessly blended into the woods as their suits shifted colors and patterns, mimicking the woods, leaves, bark and moss all around them, but far more perfect than the creatures could themselves. Soon enough though, the squad had a clear view of the gathered up rabble of adventurers and mercenaries. It was obvious they weren't friendly, but at the least by the looks of it, they weren't planning to ambush the squad. Rather, with the intimidating way they stood on the path, they likely intended to turn any comers back. However, that whole act would have been a lot more effective if they didn't look so malnourished.

"OH! I know you guys!" the body suit clad priestess suddenly shouted, popping up from her cover. "You guys are part of the guild at Wurstschloss right?"

"AHHHH! SHOOT IT-SHOOT IT-SHOOT-IT!" a panicked screech came tearing out of one of the men. Hurriedly leveling their bows, crossbows and even a staff, they fired.

Sif quietly watched as arrows, bolts and even fireballs started hurtling at Viz.
Daran Ist'Ladaren
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daran Ist'Ladaren » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:30 am

"Yeah yeah, don't die, try not to screw up, blah blah," Jayden muttered, continuing to walk along the path. "You know, the more I hear about the Taianese and their plans in combat, the more I start to think they just rely way too much on their fancy machines," She said as they continued to walk. "You know, and then they give us all the tech, only not as good, and tell us to prove our mettle. Like, how? Do what they do?" She asked, looking at her controller again. "Nah, we talking to these people, I don't think intimidation is how we should do it," She said, just as they started to approach the group. She was going to open her mouth, when Viz just jumped out like some anime chick doing one of those lame jump scares. She didn't know much about this equipment, but she knew it could stop bullets. So she wasn't worried about Viz. She was, however, worried about the guys freaking out more.

So, Jayden turned off her camouflage, dropping all of her gear quickly and holding up her hands. "Woah! Hey now guys, we ain't here to hurt ya!" She shouted, looking at the rest of the group, waving one of her hands as if to tell them to lower their weapons. "We can talk right? No one here wants to hurt you," She added, reaching up and deactivating her helmet. "See? I'm just some pink haired cat! I don't wanna hurt ya!" She smiled, standing up fully and scratching the back of her head with an awkward, sheepish smile. "What do ya say huh? Talk?" She asked, praying one of them didn't catch her in the face with one of those arrows.
Ham
Staff
Staff

Post by Ham » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:52 am

Kikyo didn't say anything, just observed the situation for the moment. On one hand, Viz was proving her incompetence and the mental image of her being skewered by arrows made her smile a bit beneath her helmet. Despite this, she knew the armor that they were wearing would shake them off no problem. As Jayden began to try and get their attention, even going to the point of taking her helmet off, the Catgirl hatched an idea. She was cloaked still, and she guessed that even if she was temporarily visible while she did so, she could move pretty fast. So that's what she did.

She went wide behind Jayden and out behind the men. Stopping with a skid, she uncloaked. Her weapon in her right hand, her other holding up a straight arm and vertical hand towards the natives. "Stop, if do you not pass me, you will live." She primed her weapon as she finished speaking, eyes each man one by one. She didn't want to shoot but should she have to. She'd probably go for the legs anyway, but they didn't need to know that.
Daran Ist'Ladaren
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daran Ist'Ladaren » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:27 am

Jayden's face twisted to one of anger as Kikyo materialized, ordering the men to stop. It was the holding of the gun, and the comment of they will live if they cooperate. That was not something she was okay with. Dongwu or not, chain of command be damned. "You put that fucking gun down now!" She shouted, the last word being undertoned by a vicious growl. "We aren't keeping them here, we aren't pointing guns at them!" She snapped, stepping between Kikyo and the men. "We are here to talk to them, they are not enemies, and if we threaten people who can't hurt us then Sif can shoot me right here for all I care," She growled. "Put... The gun... Down..."
Immortal Cyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Immortal Cyan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:05 pm

Mei Xing listened to Sif quietly and took her words to heart as the group stalked through the dense forest in pursuit of the primitive band of medieval soldiers. She kept her senses focused just as much towards the front as she did on her back, in an effort to avoid getting flanked by another group. She didn’t intend to pull any punches when it came to engaging the enemy, in spite of their primitive weaponry. If they did indeed wield magic, then they would need to take the enemy as seriously as she would a conventional one, since it was the one weapon that posed a significant threat to them while encased in modern armor.

Mei was buried within dense foliage for additional concealment along with the volumetric camouflage systems of her armor, and was almost completely still when the group came upon the encampment of adventurers and soldiers. She switched her rifle to the high-powered semi-automatic mode aimed aligned the reticle in the center of her HUD with a target who seemed to be carrying a loaded crossbow.

She had not intended to fire upon the enemy, but the plan was immediately compromised when the racist priestess jumped out of cover and shouted like a superhero in a B-movie. When the fireballs began to hurtle towards Viz, Mei immediately realized that the priestess was in danger. Within the span of a half-second, she realigned her reticule, aimed at one of the staff-wielding mages in the group, and mentally willed the weapon to fire two shots which were intended to strike her target at center mass.

“What the hell are we doing? They fired on us first, the rules of war state that we can return hostilities!” Mei replied when she realized that she was the only one thus far who had thought to actually return fire...
Daran Ist'Ladaren
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daran Ist'Ladaren » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:12 pm

Jayden rolled her eyes as Mei made her comment. "What are they going to do? Scratch the fucking paint?" She asked, turning to face the other girl on the team. "They're scared! Then the cum for brains omega milk bitch just jumps out of thin fucking air and screams at them!" She groaned, covering her face with her hands, turning back to the mercs. "Look, guys, we're new to this, they're all really jumpy and I don't think they get that people are scared and tensions are high. Y'all are being attacked by shit in the forest right? We're here to help. Okay? Please stop shooting at us?"
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CadetNewb » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:42 pm

One moment, Levi was waiting patiently for the strange, aggressive foreigners to come so they could try and turn them away with the others of his group. The next, he was screaming as the forest shifted and blurred, the unmistakable silhouette of a magically cloaked attacker bursting forth from the bush all too familiar to the experienced adventurers. Bringing his staff to bear, the young wizard fired off several fireballs as his body weakened, the very life force that sustained him being cast out as flaming light and fury. His head spun as he heard a young woman scream and cry, but the blood pounding through his ears and the deafening roar of flame bursting across trees was even louder still. The cloaked attacker deftly dodged their hail of arrows, bolts and even stones, making a terrifying mockery of their attempts to defend themselves, but then another voice spoke up, and out of thin air, a...lioness's in a weird black suit with brilliant pink mane?!

"What?" Trembling staff in hand, Levi simply stared, dumbstruck, but in an instant, the mail-clad caster whirled around, bringing his weapon to bear like a rifle as yet another voice spoke up from behind. But before he could even utter another word, the black clad woman was arguing with the fluffy-pink lioness and -

"By the gods, they killed him!" One of the other men cried out. In an instant, a pair of golf-ball sized holes had suddenly appeared in a staff wielder's chest, the light briefly shining through from either side before he collapsed on the floor like a sack of potatoes. Eyes wide with terror, the rest of their party dropped their weapons, hands held high as they trembled.

"These bitches, they're monsters!" one of the young man exclaimed.

"It went right through both sides of Levi's mail, not once, but twice!" another lamented, kneeling by the dead young man.

"Do whatever you want to us, but please leave Ellie alone! She's just a little girl!" As though in unison, they all started pleading with the squad to spare this 'Ellie'.

"I could start giving you all reasonable orders," Sif began, her own suit's active camouflage vanishing, "But I feel it would be better if you all started brainstorming and coming up with what to do," she admitted with a shrug. "The Taianese would have just either killed them all, or knocked them all out for later interrogation, so this is an opportunity that would otherwise not be available already," the plain voiced woman explained to them. "I suggest making use of it."

"WAAAAHH!" a certain priestess wailed, her arms thrown over Jayden as she bawled. "I THOUGHT I WAS GUNNA DIE! THANK YOU SO MUCHHH!" she pathetically cried, clinging onto the Dongwu as though she couldn't walk. In truth though, she somehow dodged everything thrown at her, and was completely unharmed. Not that it was something to worry about. They had bigger things at hand.
Daran Ist'Ladaren
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daran Ist'Ladaren » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:45 pm

Jayden stared at the wizard who Mei shot and froze as he hit the ground. She didn't actually realize she pulled the trigger. She watched as these people had every fear of theirs rationalized in a split second, and before she could say anything Viz jumped on her side and started thanking her. Thanking her!. Jayden lifted her arm, wrapping it around Viz's neck, as if she were a good friend. "Oh, you're totally welcome Viz!" She said, a cheerful smile stretching across her saber-toothed muzzle.

Then things took a turn as Jayden jerked, pulling Viz so that her arm was still around the wanna-be-priestess's neck, but she was now facing away from Jayden, and the muscles in her arm bulged, locking her firmly in place. "What can I say? It's not like this isn't entirely your fault. Like, I'm the dumb one in the group who can't read and count, so obviously I don't see the tactical advantage that terrifying a group of people already stressed and worried because they are being assaulted in the forest would give us," She grinned, her arm tightening even further.

"Like," She continued, her other hand pointing at Mei. "That doesn't mean I don't think Mei here shouldn't be given possibly the highest award in Taipan, and have the emporer kiss her feet for the absolutely stunning heroics she displayed!" Jayden laughed, punching the bridge of her muzzle, her arm tightening even more, and more, to the point where it wouldn't be unreasonable to worry about Viz's throat being crushed. "Like, I can't believe how much courage and forethought it must have taken to burst into action, and attack someone who may as well be the equivalent of an unarmed civilian," She said, looking at Mei. "How did you do it? Did you suddenly realize these guys were a threat to the Empire with their swords and arrows, and bright bursts of fire that wouldn't bother any of us in our fancy taipan armour? I..." She said, shrugging with her free arm. "I guess I just don't understand. Maybe we are just here to kill them all! What the fuck do I know? Taipan the mighty! Getting their kicks out of stepping on the helpless!"
Ham
Staff
Staff

Post by Ham » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:01 am

"Jayden, stop. We don't need this bullshit right now." Kikyo's voice was nearly as ice cold as Sif, but had a much more darker tone to it.

It was evident that the Catgirl was at least somewhat pissed as she had not released her helmet at all. It wasn't that she didn't agree with what Jayden was saying, but tactically it was a risk for her to decloak and unmask herself. Behind her displays, the Catgirl was gritting her teeth before looking to Sif for a hair of a second before moving to the other two. They couldn't hurt her, she was armored most likely against all of it. This was Taianese armor, all or nothing basically. But what they did have was overwhelming firepower. Even if she didn't want to use it, it was a display of power. After Mei had liquefied the interior of the man named Levi, they had their chance for dominance.

She turned to face the other two, voice as menacing as she could muster, "If you value life, you will drop your weapons and tell us who you are, what you are, and where you are. If you value your Ellie, you will submit."

It was a good thing she was masked still, as Kikyo looked about as pale as she could get without being dead. She hated doing this, but she'd learned that the world cares not for those in combat, even one sided ones. For a moment she wondered why these people had such Alliance-sounding names, but dared not question it beyond her own thoughts. She passed it off for the moment as coincidence but didn't forget it. She had more important things to take care of.
Immortal Cyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Immortal Cyan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:23 am

Mei Xing was prepared to fire yet another shot upon sensing that the unrest among the group of primitive adventurers was reaching a near tipping point. Fortunately, the group’s fear translated into sensible action when they began to drop their weapons to the ground in quick succession. With a sigh of relief, Mei lowered her rifle and crawled out of the foliage from the back, in order to prevent the fearful party of adventurers from seeing her exit and identifying her as the shooter. Regardless, with the colorful lioness pointing her out, Mei’s chances at escaping notice were somewhat slim to begin with.

To say the least, Mei was seething with anger in response to being humiliated and called out by Jayden, especially considering her own somewhat equal status in rank with the lioness. Her expression was one of embarrassment and rage beneath the black faceplate of the helmet. Although she did not enjoy confrontation or disagreement, Mei was willing and able to defend herself, especially against animals.

“Shàngděng-Dai, permission to use a tranquilizer dart on the wild lion that’s escaped from its enclosure!” Mei said in a calm, yet eerily sarcastic voice which quickly shifted into an exasperated tone. “I can put it back in the pen for you when I'm done, ma'am.” She added without even bothering to look at or even acknowledge the lioness as she pointed accusingly at the Kitsune.
Noodles
Staff
Staff

Post by Noodles » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:39 pm

Royama, who had been silent up until this point, had seen enough. Sif clearly was set in trying to make the squad make their own decisions, although she wasn't entirely sure if she saw it as some sort of game or if she truly thought that this mess was the best way to teach them. Either way, the doctor couldn't let the cluster fuck that was this mission get any worse in good conscience.

"Permission denied, Jayden is not a wild animal. Don't refer to her as such." Royama said, shooting down Mei's intended course of action, "Jayden, if you don't release Viz immediately you will be rendered unconscious. Pointing fingers and choking out your squadmates isn't going to make the situation any better- in fact, it's making it significantly worse." The much smaller woman scolded, before turning to approach the opposing group- with caution. She was prepared to be 'nice', but not stupid, "If any of you are wounded, aside from your dead companion, I'd suggest you announce it now before things get any worse than they already are. Clearly, you've seen how horribly trigger happy and aggressive they can be so I'm willing to assume you won't try anything stupid- lest we feed you to our giant ligress- or at least let her choke you to death as she seems to keen on doing."
Eistheid
Landsman
Landsman

Post by Eistheid » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:32 pm

The time spent aboard the Wéifēng apart form the odd rooming arrangements had been rather pleasant for Fu. Things had fallen into a familiar rhythm of garrison soldiering and apart from the attention paid to the more obvious third class and dongwu members of their group nothing had been out of the ordinary. To this end their first mission and the ride down to a provincial planet of the Empire had fit nicely into the illusion of normalcy that Lin Fu had managed to cultivate in her mind. Boots had hit the ground, Fu had chosen to take up a rear guard position to keep an eye on whatever might have decided to follow them, a small layer of safety for more critical personnel such as their doctor. Unfortunately it was at this point that things started to get weird.

Their first few moments on world had chained together starting with their Commanding Officer's plunge into what appeared to be Socratic method teaching, to disagreements and opinions about the right way of approaching the locals, whether to approach the locals, and whether or not it was wise to make use of active camouflage. This had rapidly sparked into what Fu felt was near chaos as the Priestess had slipped away to blurt suddenly about a 'guild at Wurstschloss' and draw the aggression of a jumpy group of locals. This in turn seemed to ignite a variety of responses from their group from aggressively assertive verbal communication, attempts at threats and coercion while assuming a decent tactical position to try and discourage further aggression from the locals, and a moment of returned fire which had somehow both de-escalated the situation and thrown Jayden into rage.

With her back turned to the group, Fu's eyes for the moment more intent on observing the tactical data from their recon drones she listened to the arguments hoping that the internal discord in the group would die down long enough for further information to be gathered from the locals as intended, as awful as it had been executed in her opinion. Keeping her tongue held for the moment in favor of waiting for the conflict to simmer down and not wanting to confuse things further by throwing yet another voice into the fray, Fu waited and thought on how she could go about proposing the discussion of a coherent standard order of procedures so that they would not be thrown into disarray with each new obstacle they encountered.

She also needed to stop crying first.
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CadetNewb » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:53 pm

"Hurk-gack-haaa!" Viz cried out in the pink maned Jongwu's grasp, her camouflage and helmet disengaging as she struggled to speak. "Cahn...rez....rhez!" she choked out, tears flowing as her face grew increasingly red. The ragtag group of adventurers and mercenaries had already dropped their weapons, clearly outmatched, but when Kikyo spoke up, fire came back into their eyes.

"We're from the Adventurers Guild, or the Mercenary Guild," an older man with a brown beard replied, tossing back his mail coif, the padding underneath still sweaty and worn. His eyes were clearly gaunt however, and judging by his breathing, he couldn't quite draw in the breath to say more.

"Yeah," a younger man with dull, rusty hair remarked, his stubble having been unshaven for days. "We did all the same pointless stuff over and over again, but when we found Ellie, we realized we could at least do something that was had meaning to it, you know?" Past the sleeves of his padded jack, they could see that his arms were thin, and skin was hanging as loose flabs. The young man was still tall, and should have been in his prime, but he was no longer the muscly bear he used to be. If any others in the natives' group had anything to say though, they didn't, only nodding in agreement.

"Well, at least I know what our baseline is now," Sif's aloof voice finally spoke up. "Though you all didn't behave as professionals, one advantage you have over your purely Destroyer Caste peers would be that our captives are still conscious and able to talk," the white haired Tigress stepped forward, her active camouflage and helmet disengaging to reveal her toned, black bodysuited form. Between her and the others, the locals simply stared, their minds at a loss for words at what they were looking at. "They would have most likely just shot them all with stun and had them interrogated for information later, as they are new like yourselves. However, more experienced groups would leave at least one or two conscious for questioning." Looking over them with her uninterested eyes, she shrugged. "A start," Sif remarked. "Keep trying to ask the right questions."

Meanwhile, her eyes shifted over to Lin.

'It's ok. Things will get better,' the woman tried to comfort her, voice ringing in the younger Tigress's mind. 'Tell us, out loud, what did you find?'
Daran Ist'Ladaren
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daran Ist'Ladaren » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:12 pm

"Oh yeah, because these folks totally needed the bullshit of one of their friends getting shot cause this dumb cunt can't keep her trigger finger in place," Jayden said, flipping off Mei as she did, but her anger was directed at Mei as she made her comments. Jayden watched as she stepped closer and closer, and when she was within arms reach, took Viz's throat in her hand, and practically threw Viz at the other woman. She turned as she did, grabbing her duffle bag and gun. "You can have her!" She snapped, starting to walk away. "I ain't doing this shit if it involves killing innocent people!"
Immortal Cyan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Immortal Cyan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:58 pm

“Then enjoy your dereliction of duty charge you-” Mei froze in space when she saw Viz’s busty form flying towards her like an arrow from a bow. To say the least, the shapely Kitsune was too stunned by Jayden’s actions to dodge out of the way. Indeed, it would have been overwhelmingly easy for Mei to evade the buxom projectile had she been a woman of stronger will. Unfortunately, Mei was dumbstruck.

The priestess struck Mei boobs first, which alone was enough to send Mei crashing to the ground like a building in the process of being demolished. With Viz’s limbs entangled within her own, Mei and the priestess tumbled on the ground before coming to a rest at Sif’s feet. However, Viz would find that yet another thing was suppressing her ability to breathe. Fortunately, it seemed to have a lot more give, softness, and shape than Jayden’s bulging biceps.

With a soft groan, Mei began the process of untangling her arms from between Viz’s legs. She felt a piercing and sharply painful sensation in her head, but it dissipated just as quickly as it had appeared. If she had been a woman of a physically inferior species, it was likely that she would have sustained a concussion in the impact. After a few moments, Mei shook herself out of her stupor and rolled off of Viz, finally relieving the pressure her backside had been inflicting on Viz’s thin neck. Then, Mei picked herself off of the ground and offered her left hand to the priestess to help her up as well.

Sorry…”
Eistheid
Landsman
Landsman

Post by Eistheid » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:56 pm

In the midst of taking slow deep breaths to do what she could to steady her shaken emotional state, Lin Fu was able to listen to both the limited amount of information provided by the locals, as well as to the infighting that continued among her own squad. Of this, the information provided by the locals proved useful, interesting, and ultimately worrying. The mention of discovering someone and finding new meaning put to mind tales of cults driven by an individual with uncanny charisma and a terrible will. Were these wasting individuals part of such an organization, their dedication such that they were neglecting their own body in a vain pursuit of the spirit? As she began to wonder about the possible consequences or dangers of a possible memetic threat Fu was distracted by the sound of an impact from behind followed by the somewhat familiar sound of falling bodies.

Using the shock as a starting point, Fu began to speak over the commlink her voice reaching those in their group who had opted to keep their helmets on their heads, "Shàoxiào, the recon drones have discovered a clearing occupied by an anomalous individual. Sensors indicate that despite her humanoid form, that she is lacking of typical vital signs and is instead composed of plant matter loosely related to that of this world. She is presently sitting among the roots of the base of a lone tree in the center of the clearing. Due to her odd physiological readings our sweep almost missed her."

Falling silent after diligently relaying the one subject of interest from what she'd seen among the recon drone's data feed, Lin Fu added the positional data of the drone's discovery to the squad's data link providing a small visual marker indicating the location of the anomaly. After a moment of thought Fu added over the commlink, "Though I have little to support this assumption, it could be possible that this girl-shaped thing is the 'Ellie' the locals spoke of. Given that she does not match any lifeform variety that I am familiar with, I would suggest we approach with more caution and... Cohesion than we did with the locals... Perhaps laying out a Standard Operating Procedure that we are all familiar with before we blunder into the next unknown would be wise?"
Noodles
Staff
Staff

Post by Noodles » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 am

Royama listened to Lin Fu while she began to inspect the locals, being sure to be as non-threatening as possible. Their state of being was concerning, but curious. Having dealt mostly with 2nd Class Tai-Pan citizens she rarely had seen anything worse than a nasty rash, this was an exciting opportunity to study people in a much worse condition, "Are any of you ill or dehydrated? Have you been eating?" She asked in quick succession, before switching over to speaking over the shared commlink, "Might be worth splitting up. Small groups. Granted, several of this squad are going to need supervision- I wouldn't trust them to interact appropriately with this 'person'. Might ultimately prove unwise to fan out in groups, unless two of us break off from the rest- two that would be levelheaded enough to operate alone." She suggested, pointedly switching her gaze between Sif and Lin Fu.

"Regardless of what we do, These people need a proper examination and I lack the supplies I need to do that to the proper extent- I'm not in a horrible rush, they've been doing well enough this far along."
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CadetNewb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:46 am

"Disappointing, but expected," Sif's flat, aloof voice remarked. "Overriding holo-helmet emitters." Raising a black gloved hand, the white haired tigress snapped her fingers, their faces becoming clearly visible as the inbuilt emitters activated, altering their appearance so that they looked like they wore no head protection. "I will debrief you all thoroughly after our return, but at this time, I will remind you all that mission completion is our priority and that our weapons have a stun feature," the woman's voice firmly spoke, her footsteps taking her over to Lin, the younger woman's back still turned to the group. "Your helmet is malfunctioning. Hold still," Sif lied. Reaching up to the younger tiger's face, the helmet silently disengaged as she wiped away the tears out of sight of the others. Stepping away, the helmet sealed on its own as the woman rounded on the others.

Instead of saying anything to them though, she simply looked Jayden, then Mei, in the eyes, firmly holding onto their shoulders. It was firm, but brief, as she moved on to the next troublemaker.

"Revive the dead one," she ordered the blue haired priestess who started to moan and crawl her way over to the corpse, sniffling back tears as she incomprehensibly muttered. "Meanwhile, you - " Sif then pointed to the older man. "Answer her question," the Taianese woman gestured to Royama.

"We - we have been eating. Ellie's been making these fruits for us," the gaunt man explained. Reaching into his bag, he pulled out a bright red fruit. Though the size of a large apple, its skin as flawless as it was bright, shiny and round, the only imperfection its almost orange-like stem at what they could only presume to be the top. "It only lasts for a few days," the older man replied as Sif held her hand out, tossing it over. However, the weak throw fell short by a meter, and darting forward in a blur, the tigress caught it, much to the sudden shock of the group of locals. When someone suddenly gasped for air though, their eyes widened even further as the young man on the ground began to breathe, the holes in his chest gone as Viz triumphantly rose to her feet.

"See! I told you I - Viz - am the bestest High Priestess around!" the blue haired woman's obliviously cheery voice loudly declared, chest proudly stuck out as her hands settled on her hips. "Shower me with praise and apologize for your foolishness!" she grinned.

"Oh god, it's that cultist," the now-living man gasped from the floor with realization. The others milled about uncomfortably as they all turned, looking at her face for the first time and realizing who she was. They then turned to look at the squad with expressions that pleaded for mercy as Sif tossed the fruit over to Royama.

'This is not the Alliance. You are our designated field scientist and medic. Use your helmet's science scanners. Tell me what you see,' the squad leader's voice whispered in their ears. Simply holding the fruit in her hand and staring at it, the HUD appeared and offered to do just that. 'I am aware that many of you are distressed, but I advise against it. We have a task at hand,' Sif reminded them all.

"Wait," the young man with the red hair stared at them all, his brows furrowing as he looked at the squad. Or, more accurately, their hips and breasts. "I like...I like women with sweet, big titties. And, and nice, curvy hips. Don't I?" he began to grasp his head. "And I hate kids. I really hate little brats. What - why was I here?" Looking back at the old man, he looked utterly confused and lost. "Hey, dirty old man, didn't we always hit on the women too?" the young man asked, pointing his thumb at the squad. "Hot, sexy ones, like these ones here? Not the flat, girly ones?"

"Y-yeah," the veteran mercenary replied, confused.

"HEY!" Viz loudly pouted, cheeks puffing with visible anger. "Why didn't any of you guys hit on me then?! And praise me already! Especially you, titty cat!" she accusingly pointed a finger at Jayden.

The adventurers just stared at them all, their expressions extremely mixed.
Daran Ist'Ladaren
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Daran Ist'Ladaren » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:24 pm

Jayden was silent, having been stopped by Sif, who while she was angry, wasn't so dumb as to push her away so she could keep walking. That didn't stop a deep growl from escaping her throat as she turned to the rest of the group, bag over her shoulder, gun in hand. It looked really small in Jayden's hands, and she didn't seem particularly fond of it but they had also been told not to leave equipment on the field so Jayden was more or less stuck with it. However, when Viz started demanding people hit on her and praise her, she snorted. "Hit on you, and praise you?" She asked, shaking her head. "They'll praise you when they ride you, and I'll praise you when you actually deserve it. Unlike the Taianese, I don't praise people I don't like, they don't deserve it."
Noodles
Staff
Staff

Post by Noodles » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:39 am

"Oh, yes. Force of habit. Still getting used to equipment I've never used before. Thank you for the heads up." Royama said, sounding quite pleasant despite how actually increasingly annoyed she had become with the entire squad, but mostly Viz who's pompous holier-than-thou attitude was increasingly wearing her nerves down thin. The urge to tranquilize the nutty priestess was growing, but ignored for the time being.

With a small amount of analysis on how her suit functioned she figured out how to do as Sif had asked of her. She focused first on the group of suddenly very confused people, and then the fruit she had been tossed. She had a few suspicions on what was going on, but she decided on keeping them to herself until she was done using her suit to analyze what she could, "Despite your confusion I urge you all to stay as calm as possible. If you begin to act unruly or agressive it will only make it harder for me to help you. So please, remain calm and agreeable." She suggested firmly, and not just to the group of strangers.
Ham
Staff
Staff

Post by Ham » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:27 am

When Kikyo's face materialized, she was pale and emotionless as if she'd forgotten herself. She didn't speak nor did she move. She decided to stay quiet and stay in her head. Viz's absolutely stunning idiocy made her heart rate spike every time she spoke but the catgirl held her tongue. When Jayden replied to the so called priestess she couldn't help but smile. It quickly began to fade however, as it soon clicked in her mind that these people knew Viz, and that only led to the point that Viz knew them. Kikyo was a colonial, Viz was whatever these people called themselves. She eyed the priestess for a moment before going back to the men.

Finally, she felt well enough to speak, and speak she did. "You gentlemen must love your little frolics through the sheets," she eyed down the now-living man next. "and I also bet you love that you can breathe on to go back to crawling from brothel to brothel eyes up each exotic wench that will give you a quickie for a drink. Let's just say trying that on any of us, minus your cultist wench which we have, won't go very... hmm... well." Her voice was like ice, ever more evident that she was hating every moment of this.

She winked at the revived man before going back to silence. She wanted to just leave this place and continue on with reconnaissance. This incessant delay was going to most likely come back to bite them anyway. Her eyes shifted to Sif for a moment as if to silently ask 'what's next?' but knowing her, she was going to be fine with letting them continuously screw up. She also began to suspect that they weren't the only team out for recon anyway, with all the manpower that Tai Pan claimed to have at their disposal. She was still just a catgirl in a far off, backwater world with orders to find out what was really here. She questioned why she even accepted this idea in the first place.
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CadetNewb » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:12 pm

"What?! Are you dumb or something boob-cat?" Viz vehemently replied, her cheeks red with anger as she settled her hands on her hips. "I'll have you know that regular peoples praise, but dumb peoples can only hit on pretty women!" Pointing a finger at the group of local adventurers, the blue haired woman added, "Because some of them have their intelligence stat debuffed when looking at us, it's all they can do! You can't hold that against them - that's cruel!" the abnormal priestess loudly declared, thrusting her chest out for emphasis. Hearing this from her, as well as Kikyo's scathing remarks, the assortment of men looked like they wanted to die, with the revived young man in particular giving an expression that said something along the lines of, 'Why did you let her bring me back?'.

"I don't think any of us ever did go to, um, those sort of places," the older man began at Kikyo's remarks. "Our social lives would be ruined and the women of the town would spurn us if we did," he explained, rubbing the back of his head.

"Hey, old man," the redheaded - and likely stepchild - young man slowly started to realize. "Don't we usually get angry over stuff like this? Like, these pretty girls in the weird outfits are being really crummy to us." At that, they all blankly stared at one another in confusion.

"We will investigate this matter further," Sif's aloof yet somehow authoritative voice cut in. "I believe this 'Ellie' has the answ - " Before she could finish, the men burst into an uproar, begging and pleading that the group of strange women didn't hurt their little girl, their little Ellie. However, the black and white haired tigress was having none of this and raised her laser weapon up into the air. With a crack, a tree branch came crashing down from overhead, its severed end glowing hot and burnt, silencing the adventurers. "We will investigate this further, and you all will stay here with our Friends." As though for emphasis several faceless, black bodysuited figures seemed to phase out of the forest around them, the Taianese soldiers menacingly forming a circle around them all. "Activate stealth," Sif then reminded her squad.

It wasn't long until they found what they were looking for though. Far enough to be out of earshot, the forest eventually parted to reveal a tranquil clearing where a ray of light shown down, lighting the singular small tree and the figure sitting at its base. Wrapped up in bandages stained in red, her dress torn by beasts, a little girl with green hair sat alone, her legs held close to her chest.

"Show me what you can do," Sif's camouflaged form leaned back against a tree. Helmet deployed, Viz started wildly gesturing at the little girl in the distance as she seemed to be talking, but none of them heard a thing from her. "Quiet," their squad leader ordered the priestess. Pointing to a patch on the ground, she nervously took a seat, hugging herself. "Go on," she urged them all.
Ham
Staff
Staff

Post by Ham » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:13 am

Kikyo looked to the group for a second and seemed to smirk at the priestess before looking to the rest of the group. She spoke in a hushed tone in Taianese just in case to cover her words from the figure. "Three man spacing, weapons down but warmed up. Let's see if we can do this without tearing our little VIP apart." She knew she was, again, probably taking too much control. She was willing to risk it. She would have to be blind to not see that she was distressed. If she had some sort of magic that could render their armor useless, she didn't want that to be the first move. She didn't care that her face was possibly still exposed, to her she'd just look like a black haired girl with cat ears, and that couldn't be as threatening as no face at all.

She gave the hand motion for move and began walking with her weapon lowered towards the girl. When she got into a range where she didn't have to scream, she spoke in a warm but authoritative tone. "Miss, can you please stand up and face us? We don't want to hurt you." She didn't want to shoot the poor girl, she looked like she'd been through enough. Her mind was alight with memories and confusions in enough number to make her shiver a little. She kept it bottled for now, as she decided it was better to focus than remember. She was focused, eyes and ears open. She just hoped she was going to be followed and wouldn't end up a burning pile of ash within the end of the day.
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CadetNewb » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:57 pm

Gleaming emerald eyes turned towards Kikyo as shock and awe coursed over the little girl's face. Weakly trying to scramble back in shock, she couldn't even go far before she stopped, and tried to hide behind the trunk of the tree, her efforts futile. Coming closer, she looked pitifully small, perhaps just five or six years old. She was a little dirty too, the threads of her dress still loose at their tears, having not worn down with use. Worse, it was clear that the wounds on her legs looked freshly bandaged, the scratches on her body still raw. At least, that was what their instincts told them.

"I-I can't," the little girl's voice weakly replied, scared.
Eistheid
Landsman
Landsman

Post by Eistheid » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:30 am

After making her suggestion Lin Fu had been surprised, yet somewhat relieved by a response from Royama, providing at least some feedback. Still, what the doctor provided seemed to be all that the squad were willing to offer up. Their commanding officer, Sif, seemed content to ignore the suggestion, or at least stay out of the conversation. Instead Sif's choice of action was to opt to strip the squad of the anonymity. This was a move that sent a wave of tension through Lin Fu as a layer of her armor was symbolically stripped away, leaving her tail tip twitching with agitation as she resisted the urge to allow the expression of folding her ears back against the sides of her head.

In the moment of discomfort Sif's choice to step around and in front of Fu wasn't expected. Even more unexpected was the attempt at a small bit of comfort shown by Sif, the odd woman taking the time to wipe away Fu's tears in an action that felt in the moment at odds with the cool detachment usually displayed by the unusual woman. Puzzled, but feeling a small spark of gratitude Fu gave a nod and spoke softly, "Thank you for your assistance Shàoxiào."

As this happened, the locals continued to babble providing some information, though, none of it comforting. If the strange plant-girl had been providing the locals with sustenance there was no guarantee of whether or not they had been compromised in some way, be it purely psychological or otherwise. Even so, somehow, the potential of aberrant locals was a small worry compared to the choices of those in the squad that Fu observed.

Viz, unsurprisingly proved time and time again that she was more interested in personal aggrandization than being a useful individual. Her actions proved that her being was almost entirely motivated by vanity. Even when she followed orders. Contrasting Viz's vanity was Jayden, who it seemed to Fu was a slave to her own rage, displeasure, and oppression as she appeared to prefer lashing out at those who she felt had wronged her than trying to find ways to improve circumstances. As far as Fu could hear, Kikyo was a variation on Jayden's disposition, though burning somewhat cooler than the dongwu. In Kikyo's case, however, her behavior at least to Fu seemed tinted with something that was perhaps a bit more personal in nature, but still her choices to verbally harass the locals was questionable at best.

As the squad kept themselves busy and time passing resulting with little information gained from the locals, at least nothing actionable, the order to resume active stealth and move out toward the location of the plant-girl came as a mixed omen. No conclusion had been obtained, no SOP had been established, all that remained as a positive, was that they were moving forward with an opportunity to try and create a better future than their recent past suggested.

After a brief march through the unfamiliar forest landscape they reached the clearing in question, the small plant-girl dominating the scene in spite of her diminutive physical stature. Feeling another wave of tension ripple through her body Fu briefly entertained volunteering as a rear guard again to ensure that they did not have anyone or anything sneaking up on them. This hope was dashed upon seeing both Sif's choice to relegate herself and Viz relegated to a 'rear guard' of sorts. With her initial idea dashed quickly Fu decided that it wouldn't be out of place for her to take part in Kikyo's plan. It was, in Fu's eyes, the closest to true organization that the squad had experienced so far and Fu felt that the action was to be supported.

"Acknowledged Kikyo, on your right." The words were spoken clearly, and with a friendliness that Fu hoped would help diffuse some of the tension that had existed in their group admittedly almost since its inception as Fu stepped into place moving forward in tandem with Kikyo's advance while hoping that the others of the squad would be willing to follow the example.

Refocusing on the task at hand as she walked forward slowly, Lin Fu's tail tip twitching slowly behind her betraying her anxiety as they approached the unknown entity. Listening to Kikyo's initial exchange as they entered comfortable speaking range with the girl supposedly named 'Ellie,' more questions seemed to be raised than answered and Fu couldn't help but shift her stance slightly. Letting the nervous energy coil before dispersing into a light-footed readiness to move at the slightest hint of a threat Fu considered the situation and briefly fantasized if it would be wise to pre-emptively begin a tactical retreat. Instead of giving in to her desires, Fu spoke up in a slow, clear, calm, and friendly voice, "It is alright if you can't move, it is good that you told us. Your good friends told us a little bit about you, we would really appreciate it if you would talk to us. It is important so that we can do our very best to help you. Wouldn't it be very nice if we can all be safe and happy together?"
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CadetNewb » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:07 am

Watching, listening to Lin speak, the little girl slowly nodded her head up and down.

"Wh-what did...what did you do to them?" Ellie asked, clearly afraid of the soldiers surrounding her. "Did you hurt them?" As she asked this as well, data streamed across their systems, but until a medical or science officer interpreted it, most of the information was gibberish. Most of it. Their suits did make do with what their automated systems could interpret, and the results in and of themselves were rather surprising. With all their attention focused on the little girl, the suit systems gave them some simple information.

The plant was healthy.
Noodles
Staff
Staff

Post by Noodles » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:11 am

Royama looked between her squad and Ellie- She was going to have to play this smart if they wanted to end up with the best possible outcome. She doubted evaporating this plant-girl was the smartest thing to do, but it was definitely a good backup plan in case things went south.

"We could ask you the same thing. We did the opposite of hurt them. I made sure they went uninjured by my friends here, but I did come to find out that they've been starving themselves, and compelled to be something that they clearly, naturally, are not." The Doctor said matter-of-factly as she tossed the fruit the group had been eating, "Care to explain that one to us? They were quite worked up over you, but they've recently changed their tone." She said in an accusatory tone.

"The 'little girl' is part of the tree, most of the neural activity is coming from the tree. If it comes to it, that's the place to focus your fire. Adjust accordingly, but don't open fire until that's our only possible course of action- or it's determined that that's our optimal choice for the safety of the area." Royama said over the group's comms.

"We wont hurt you as long as you stay passive, any violence will be met with equal force. We're here to be helpful, not harmful."
Eistheid
Landsman
Landsman

Post by Eistheid » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:15 pm

Listening to both the entity that was Ellie, as well as Royama's additions to the exchange, Fu couldn't help but twitch the tip of her tail as a nervous tension crept into the back of her mind and settled in. The outline for their interaction had been laid by the doctor Fu waited a moment to ensure that things would not be overwhelming before speaking up with a measured, calm, tone, "As my companion has stated, they were all of good health when we left them. Just as we want everyone to be happy and safe after we're done talking with you."

Instead of keeping her focus on the tree and the girl directly before them, Lin Fu gave in to her twinge of paranoia and tapped into the video and data feeds of her whole squad as well as the drones that were still scattered about the forest attempting to gain as much of an awareness of her surroundings beyond what was immediately in front of her during the interaction with the Ellie thing. Being such an obvious focal point, Fu couldn't shake the feeling that if anything were to happen it would come from behind, below, or even up in the boughs of the trees. Still she hoped that at the very least their CO's wish of a peaceful and non-belligerent interaction would be realized.
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CadetNewb » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:15 pm

Sif watched as the little girl known as 'Ellie' looked back and forward between her juniors. Despite their assertions, she still didn't appear reassured by what they said, but that was to be expected given the situation. To most, this seemed rather straightforward. There were no additional contacts on their sensors. The person or thing responsible for everything was right here in front of them, apparently helpless. The people they were looking for were found, and just waiting to be returned to the job giver. Now? Now it was just up to them. Crossing her arms, she leaned against the tree to see how this would play out.

"I-I can't move," Ellie replied, huddling at the base of her tree. "I'm stuck here, in the forest, and they were worried some animals might try to eat me, or bad people would do things to me," she nervously explained. "They wanted to protect me, and I felt bad, so I made some fruits for them." Her face growing red, she looked away before raising her skirt just enough so that they could see her thighs. With a wince, one of the apple sized fruits from before dropped to the grassy floor. "It's all I could do, to pay them back!" she explained to them all, her pleading eyes looking up at them as she held the fruit in hand.

In the background however, the muted Viz tugged at Sif before speaking silenced words. She then quietly whispered something back.

"They can't smell it I guess," their suit sensors automatically enhanced the Tigress's words.
Ham
Staff
Staff

Post by Ham » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:47 pm

Kikyo's stance tightened as Sif's voice played in hear head. With that, she stopped her approach and held a clenched fist to signal it to Royama and Fu. She looked around the small girl at the tree to which she was bound. It was puzzling to her how this magic tree was keeping her here. The fact that her brain function was being taken from the tree was even more puzzling. They seemingly couldn't just take her, the tree might either do some weird magic stuff or just make her brain dead. She began to think over options and her eyes settled on the fallen fruit.

It was at this point her idea hit her. She spoke again in Taianese as she looked to Royama. "Trees can be replanted from their limbs right? Let's get us a branch and bring it with the VIP to assure that this tree's magic at least can be studied with the girl. We'll stop if it hurts her. Nobody has to die." She looked back towards Ellie and gained a very homely and sincere looking face. "We're going to try and get you out of here. I want you to say something if this hurts."

The catgirl pulled out her multitool and flipped out a folding serrated blade. It wasn't sharp on one end but it would be usable to cut wood and she believed magic wood too. she slowly walked towards the tree, stopping at its base to look down to the girl almost like an older sister would. "Let's see if we can get you home."

Kikyo carefully and softly put the eight inch blade to the tree's bark and looked again to Ellie to see if she felt the blade against the tree. If this worked, she might have to start a hobby of not having anxiety attacks.
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CadetNewb » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:45 pm

"W-what are you talking about?" Ellie asked, her emerald eyes looking up at Kikyo with an expression of fear and confusion. As the cat eared woman drew out her cutting tool however, the little girl's face grew pale as her mouth dropped open in sheer horror. Slowly, clumsily trying to mouth something out, to say something, anything, she could only watch, eyes going wide as the knife drew closer and closer to the low hanging branch. Her high pitched scream of pain cut through the forest like a a frozen blade of ice that ran down their backs, the distant crackling, snapping pops of lasers following up moments later. "STOP HURTING ME!!!" Ellie cried out, a thick vine leading down from the tree top quivering in pain. Previously flush against the trunk of the tree and unnoticed by them all, its dark, bark like exterior lead down from its canopy, only to end under the little girl's skirt like an overly long tail.

"Viz," Sif's flat voice spoke. "Go back to the primary objectives and revive them." Trembling with what had just happened, the muted priestess did just that, quickly turning to run away from them all.
Noodles
Staff
Staff

Post by Noodles » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:05 am

"Good god, Kikyo- Fall back, and put that damn knife away. Why in the world would you think that was even a remotely good idea. I'm trying to get her to calm down and trust us." Royama scolded, shaking her head with frustration. She let out a long, calming breath and inched forwards towards Ellie until she could squat down a few feet away from her. Slowly she pushed her hands out- palm up- completely empty handed.

"Ellie," The Doctor started, voice calm and soft, "Look at me. I need you to stay as calm as you can. No one else is going to hurt you and she didnt mean to, or at least didn't realize that would hurt you. I need you to trust me- We are here to help. A lot is going on right now, but we're going to do our best to slow down." She promised the little girl(?) tree-thing.
She kept her eye on her info feed- keeping watch for anything abnormal that might tell her she needs to fall back herself.
Ham
Staff
Staff

Post by Ham » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 pm

Kikyo's eyes were wide and she tried to stammer out some sort of response but instead maintained silence. She stowed her multitool and took calm and delegated steps back. Once about eight feet back she simply stopped and stood motionless. She didn't think it would hurt, she was only trying to test to see if she was able to feel the tool, and if not take a part of the tree to analyze. It was at this point that she seemed to remember that she was not good at doing anything but what she was good at. She was not good at being a botanist nor a scientist. Apparently, she'd lost a lot from her social skills as well.

Her face was distant, pale, and uncomfortable. She no longer wanted to be here. She spoke emotionless in her Taianese to Royama, with her only visible feeling being the sheer sorrow that was in her violet eyes. "Do your thing, Doctor. It is evident that this is not my strongest suit. Keep me posted."

With a simple nod towards Royama, she looked back to Ellie and like a statue she stood there in solitude. She was a soldier, outright and in, the bubbly little catgirl inside her was simply not present for now.