General Industries

Refining and proofreading wiki articles.
Ahoy
Landsman
Landsman

General Industries

Post by Ahoy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:00 am

URL : https://www.shattered-universe.com/doku ... industries

I don't know what I have here. I needed a bomber, so, I made General Industries. But then I gained more ideas for the corp and moved it to the Freehold (with the permission of the lore owner) and expanded its lore and content. Thus, I'm here today with a fledgling corporation. If you got any feedback or questions then feel free to post 'em here. I'll organize the stuff that I do with GI in this thread.
uso
Staff
Staff

Re: General Industries

Post by uso » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Alright, I'm consulting with Jimmy on the Freehold stuff, and we should have a review of the article up when that is finished.
MechaMeme
Landsman
Landsman

Post by MechaMeme » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:44 pm

This factory seems really really small. The fort worth plant in texas is over 6.5 million square feet, and that only makes jets.
Jimmy
Landsman
Landsman

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:34 am

Hi, Roach, we've spoken about most of this on discord already, but I think putting it here will help layout the problems and let others see that we're addressing the issues within. I apologize for the delay, but I've been swamped this weekend with various concerns.

1. Brief Origins/The Timeline

Roach and I have discused this on discord, I haven't yet double checked with relevant authorities on the subject, but from my memory, sources, and lesser judgement, the events of the Freehold should resemble something like this:

-3010. The Blackout, all contact with the greater sector lost. The population of planet Topia is evacuated, many other planets are simply left to their fate.
-3015. Exploration. Various groups dive into the Xenozone looking for survivors, it is believed the last survivors of the zone are extracted at this point.
-3018. Revelation of the Xenozone, expeditions are able to be undertaken deeper into the zone, first contact with the Freehold established.

This is the basic timeline of events in the Zone I can establish from the Timeline page.
https://shattered-universe.com/doku.php?id=timeline

2. Factory Spec

At least one concern has been brought up about the size of the factory, I've never specified the size the factory had to be but to me this does raise the question if we should start measuring factory space in cubic volume instead.

As far as production goes, with clever design, and 1000 years of miniaturization and improved production technology, I imagine making parts for almost anything is relatively easy. Assembly is the hard part. Imagine IKEA furniture but it's a starship...

Point is, I'm not particularly fussed with the size or spec of factories. If someone wants to write about frictionless belt systems, molecular seam welding systems, and sci-fi forming techniques it would be an interesting but not required part of the lore for me.

3. Production Numbers

I have heard concerns about the production numbers floated about, and I'm sure people will work to inform Roach if they feel his production numbers are too high. Particularly on the topic of starships. Roach and I have already discussed a little on this topic, and will continue to evolve the concept. Sorry to be vague, but details have yet to be hammered down, and I don't want commit Roach to anything unneccesary.

4. Communist Suversives in the Freehold

An interesting idea, I will think on it further and dicuss it more with Roach.
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:18 pm

I'm only really concerned with the Origins and the Timeline right now. Roach wants an arms corp, and we need a good place for him to put it. If the freehold was established in 3018 then it might not fit with what Roach wants.

However if Roach wants to make this a company just starting out then 3018-3019 is plenty of time to get started. I also think it makes more sense to start with a corp that is just starting out rather than something that's been around for a while.

---

Once we have those things sorted out, it should be easy to change Factory Spec and Production Numbers to something that fits with the backstory.
Jimmy
Landsman
Landsman

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:37 pm

The Freehold has existed since the 3010 Blackout, it has simply been completely cut off from communication until the last two years. It has aggressively tried to expand its technological base, and attracted disillusioned Alliance manufacturers to its shores. The factory is new, the models it produces have probably been on drawing boards for decades lacking Alliance production approval, combat ready prototypes have probably been rotated through combat forces and fixed as issues arose.

The specifics of the backstory are hard to tell because no one has really taken an interest in detailing the maelstrom of the xenozone, all we know right now is that Sutakame, Bu Qi, and pirates were part of the xenos forces operating in the area.
Ahoy
Landsman
Landsman

Post by Ahoy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:39 pm

uso wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:18 pm
I'm only really concerned with the Origins and the Timeline right now. Roach wants an arms corp, and we need a good place for him to put it. If the freehold was established in 3018 then it might not fit with what Roach wants.

However if Roach wants to make this a company just starting out then 3018-3019 is plenty of time to get started. I also think it makes more sense to start with a corp that is just starting out rather than something that's been around for a while.

---

Once we have those things sorted out, it should be easy to change Factory Spec and Production Numbers to something that fits with the backstory.
Me and Jimmy have worked out kinks of our timeline and origins in DMs now as best we can with the info that we have. I just need to edit the new info into the wiki. Also, a side-note, G.I is now focused on heavy industry instead of arms production for the time-being.
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:26 am

Cool, let me know when you're done with the edits and I'll have another look.
Ahoy
Landsman
Landsman

Post by Ahoy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:13 pm

uso wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:26 am
Cool, let me know when you're done with the edits and I'll have another look.
Update to the page. I edited the lore just a bit. All I did was add in a few more lines and then the dates that G.I moved to the Freehold, which was now in 3018. More items have also been added to the Asserts and Holdings.
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:20 am

I think this article is in a really good place now. Things like producing general defense stuff for the Freehold means you can easily justify 16,000 people to man the factories do HR, etc.

I also think we're ready to move on to ship designs. I'm considering this article approve-able now!