Hexacoaxium milligrams/Bullroarer4/05-20-2019

Refining and proofreading wiki articles.
Bullroarer4
Staff
Staff

Hexacoaxium milligrams/Bullroarer4/05-20-2019

Post by Bullroarer4 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Hexacoaxium milligrams

https://www.shattered-universe.com/doku ... milligrams

Submitted by Bullroarer4 on
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hexacoaxium milligrams/Bullroarer4/05-20-2019

Post by CadetNewb » Mon May 20, 2019 10:21 pm

I think you're on the right track, though based off of previous discussions, I think the resource that'd be in short supply would be the unobtainium that goes into FTL drives, rather than a consumable fuel. Let me see if I can get others to chime in.
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Tue May 21, 2019 7:57 am

First off, thanks for writing this. Its something I think a lot of people have been 'meaning to get to' and you're the one that stepped up to get it done.

Based on our discussions from earlier, the goal here is to create a currency that can reasonably be used wherever a character needs to go in the setting. I think we agree that 'Space Oil' is the best thing to use for this but at the same time I think we may have muddled things by including energy. Though first we need to consider what makes a good currency?

1. Generally Accepted - Many people must accept the money as a settlement of debt or as a discharge of obligation.
2. Durable - Its quality/value does not deteriorate over time, which is why we do not tend to use food products as money.
3. Divisible - If you divide the money in half, each half should be worth 50% of the whole. This is why we tend not to use diamonds or artwork as money.
4. Stable/Consistent - The value does not fluctuate substantially with time.
5. Transportable - It is easy to move from one place to another.
6. Scarce - It is difficult to acquire.
7. Easily recognizable - It needs to be obvious what it is, mostly for the purposes of #1.
8. Difficult to Counterfeit - This mostly has to do with #6.

Energy doesn't really meet requirements 6-7-8. I think that ultimately we should just come back around to energy at another time anyways.

Space Oil, The rare material used in FTL drives, fits most of our requirements here. We've determined that everyone needs it, and that it goes into any super-tech like gravity manipulation systems / FTL drives / etc. However now we need a way to make this easily recognizable and transportable.

So my suggestion is: A private bank on Vice issues coins that are backed by space oil. These coins would be worth plenty and a handful of them could get your characters whatever they need as they go from planet to planet.

It also gives an 'in' for a powerful banking group that could help explain why Vice has so much pull in the setting. My suggestion is below:

--

Werners

A Werner is a coin that contains a small amount of the exotic materials used in the construction of FTL drives and other gravity manipulation systems. Because of the rarity and near universal-use of this material, the coins hold their value well for any technological society. Even if the currency is not accepted by locals, the raw material of the coin often is. Though the value of a Werner varies from place to place, a single coin is usually more than enough to completely pay for any personal expenses.

Physically, the coins are 3cm across, and printed with the image of Richard Werner, the inventor of Quantitative Easing. The coins themselves are made up of a mixture of metal alloys and exotic material. This makes them slightly-gravity-resistant, and they will drop at about half the speed you would expect from something of their mass. This makes the coin impossible to counterfeit as to have these properties a certain amount of exotic material has to be included in the alloy the coin is made from. The coins are minted on Vice by the Vice Reserve Banking Group, a private institution.
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CadetNewb » Fri May 24, 2019 3:45 am

I think that the first thing that needs to be done is for us to come up with what the FTL-necessary unobtainium is. A name, at the very least - the article doesn't even need to list its properties, but at the bare minimum, state that it is the key component to FTL and cannot be artificially produced. From there, we can figure out the money.

The idea that Zack put forward with the Werner isn't a bad one, but it faces the same type of problems that coins made out of valuable metals face. This of course presents RP opportunities, but should still be kept in mind. Over time, they will wear down, and on top of that, might even end up watered down by greedy minters. Though testing for which ones are counterfeit is a lot easier, it's still a problem to deal with should transactions be made in bulk. Then, there's also the issue of exposure to this exotic material as well, should the coins contain them. Finally, and I can't remember the exact wording for it, but whether or not the single unit of money directly corresponds to a single unit of the material in a bank, or is simply a note that promises a unit of the stuff which may or may not actually be present/loaned/invested out is important too.
Bullroarer4
Staff
Staff

Post by Bullroarer4 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:39 am

updated links

https://shattered-universe.com/doku.php ... wofleonium FTL material discussed.

https://shattered-universe.com/doku.php ... exacoaxium Space fuel for those that like using that as a commodity

https://shattered-universe.com/doku.php ... ncy:werner Article for the currency to be backed by either/both
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Sat May 25, 2019 8:10 am

Wofleonium looks good, there isn't any more description there than there needs to be, and it leaves things open enough if other people want to do their own thing. I'm pretty happy with it.

Hexacoaxium Similarly, this is just what is needed without anything extra that could cause problems. Hexacoaxium also looks like a word that hasn't been used before which is good, but coaxium is the fuel from the star wars solo movie. Coaxium appears to be an ENTIRELY star wars thing too (With the exception of a small agricultural firm that also uses the name). I think we should change the name of the fuel source slightly to just be: Hexaaxium. Slang for the name could also easy be Hex-Ax or 2x.
  • Rejected Name ideas:
    Hexaxium - This is already a brand name for a vaccine of some kind. There shouldn't be a problem here since vaccine and space fuel are far enough apart that this isn't a problem legally or otherwise but at the same time if we're making up names we might as well make something completely our own.
Werner The main reason I wanted to have the coins made out of 'stuff' was that you could easily take them to a world that had never been discovered before and still trade them since they are made from ultra-valuable space-stuff. My understanding was that this was the main concern for the space-money article since your plot was going all over the place and needed a way to trade for stuff. Having the coin be backed by a bank in this way means that it would only be of use between parties that had some interaction with the bank.

Werner Banco Independente is a way better name for a banking institution than I came up with, and I'd love to work on expanding it in the future with you. The article is also good, as it gives enough information for us to know what this is without giving us any details that could cause problems. In the last sentence I changed "honored by ALL commercial fueling depots." to "honored by most commercial fueling depots." to give certain other players some wiggle room to do their own thing if they want.
uso
Staff
Staff

Post by uso » Sat May 25, 2019 8:30 am

Double Post!:

Talked with bullroar, and I made the changes to the name of Hexacoaxium -> Hexaaxium. I think we're good to go now.

Do I need to officially say Approved?

Sign my name on it?

Some kind of stamp?

I'm happy with this.