I have asked ICNT to put up his Wiki article for an actual inspection and review for the following reasons:
- The article represents 12 planets and 47* the current population of Earth, yet has never been discovered in the several billion years of its building.
- The article lacks a history linking it into the setting.
- The primary population of the new nation comprises of a very similar species to one already played and listed.
Normally I would somewhat rebel at the idea of actually reviewing someone's creation with a mind to approving or denying it - I dislike argumentation - but I think that we should start talking about this now because I'm beginning to feel as though we're past the point of introducing major setting elements into the setting, among other things.
So my question is; what do we do about this?
What follows will set precedent for how this is handled in the future and will lead to a new review process.
As per an earlier conversation I had with Tony, the Setting Manager, we came up with these three broad and generalized guidelines that I would like everyone contributing in this thread to entertain;
- Does this add anything new to the setting?
- Does this mesh with what is already written?
- Is this of acceptable quality?
1 does this add anything new to the setting: new for newness sake is not always a useful thing. A better question would be: Is this new thing necessary to tell the story you are trying to tell. If it is, proceed to step two. If not, find out what the storyteller is looking to accomplish and help guide them to an existing element that fulfills the element requirement
2 does this mesh with what is already written. This is a very good point. Whatever is created must have a place that fits within the already established universe, pending for time period and a certain level of believability. I am a big believer of start something small and grow it into something bigger, such as a company or small business and add to it over time with RP in setting.
3 Is this of acceptable quality: THIS point, while not the most important of issues, does place a bit of onus on the setting manager (or his delegates) to review articles with an eye for helping the submitter to complete the article
I do wish to preface these statements with This should be a process between a STORYTELLER and the SETTING MANAGER (or his delegate) I don't think base level users should be writing setting pieces above character pages without his/her/xirs storyteller approval.
Late edit: I mean, heak, we could even attach that as a required note on the wiki pages.
I will leave this discussion open until the evening of Wednesday the 8th, HST, and afterwards we'll decide what to do in an official way.
Do not take this as me saying no to this nation in any respects, but this article needs more than what is currently there. The most important thing I see in this is we need at the very least a generic history section to try and base something on. Without that it will be hard if not nigh impossible to write for or with beyond starting at the very first moment of its existence. When I made the Kaiserreich, I gave it a history before I numbered how many worlds and how many people it contained. And while I am currently restructuring said history for the sake of a story, it also will explain why it only has reappeared on the political scales within the last two years as opposed to its almost one-thousand year existence.
Existence itself is a story, don't be afraid to spend a day or two creating their epic.
URL = https://www.shattered-universe.com/doku ... _new_terra
- Article contains a species very similar to one already in setting. This should be explained.
- Article is unfinished. The article should at least contain some cultural notes, some history, and an explination of its governmental system similar to what can be found in other nations. Some good Examples: https://www.shattered-universe.com/doku ... on:kowloon ; https://www.shattered-universe.com/doku ... ion:taipan ; https://www.shattered-universe.com/doku ... _of_ersetu
- I find it difficult to believe that an undiscovered species of this magnitude has gone unnoticed by the spacefaring natives. Please reduce your faction's numbers to something more reasonable, if you want to keep your species' undiscovered status. I highly recommend you start smaller.
Please work on this and get back to us by contacting a wiki moderator after you have made appropriate edits.