Imperial Colonies of New Terra/ INCL / 5/19

Refining and proofreading wiki articles.
ICNT
Landsman
Landsman

Imperial Colonies of New Terra/ INCL / 5/19

Post by ICNT » Fri May 03, 2019 10:30 pm

Talk about the integration of the ICNT
ICNT
Landsman
Landsman

Re: Imperial Colonies of New Terra

Post by ICNT » Fri May 03, 2019 10:30 pm

To log decisions and haw to integrate the nation lore wise into the rp
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Sun May 05, 2019 4:38 pm

I'm going to notate several corrections to the prior two posts.

I have asked ICNT to put up his Wiki article for an actual inspection and review for the following reasons:
  • The article represents 12 planets and 47* the current population of Earth, yet has never been discovered in the several billion years of its building.
  • The article lacks a history linking it into the setting.
  • The primary population of the new nation comprises of a very similar species to one already played and listed.
Obviously this could use work.

Normally I would somewhat rebel at the idea of actually reviewing someone's creation with a mind to approving or denying it - I dislike argumentation - but I think that we should start talking about this now because I'm beginning to feel as though we're past the point of introducing major setting elements into the setting, among other things.

So my question is; what do we do about this?

What follows will set precedent for how this is handled in the future and will lead to a new review process.

As per an earlier conversation I had with Tony, the Setting Manager, we came up with these three broad and generalized guidelines that I would like everyone contributing in this thread to entertain;
  1. Does this add anything new to the setting?
  2. Does this mesh with what is already written?
  3. Is this of acceptable quality?
Feel free to weigh in.
Bullroarer4
Staff
Staff

Post by Bullroarer4 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:22 pm

While this particular "submission" does need a fair bit of work and flesh, the process for "canonizing" a particular element into the setting does need to be discussed and posted.

1 does this add anything new to the setting: new for newness sake is not always a useful thing. A better question would be: Is this new thing necessary to tell the story you are trying to tell. If it is, proceed to step two. If not, find out what the storyteller is looking to accomplish and help guide them to an existing element that fulfills the element requirement

2 does this mesh with what is already written. This is a very good point. Whatever is created must have a place that fits within the already established universe, pending for time period and a certain level of believability. I am a big believer of start something small and grow it into something bigger, such as a company or small business and add to it over time with RP in setting.

3 Is this of acceptable quality: THIS point, while not the most important of issues, does place a bit of onus on the setting manager (or his delegates) to review articles with an eye for helping the submitter to complete the article

I do wish to preface these statements with This should be a process between a STORYTELLER and the SETTING MANAGER (or his delegate) I don't think base level users should be writing setting pieces above character pages without his/her/xirs storyteller approval.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Sun May 05, 2019 5:45 pm

So essentially what you're saying is that when we implement the new process, we should require that the people submitting the setting material attach it to a plot, or to an ongoing story?

Late edit: I mean, heak, we could even attach that as a required note on the wiki pages.
Bullroarer4
Staff
Staff

Post by Bullroarer4 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:05 pm

That is essentially what i am saying. Moreso, as the story is the important element here, rather than a massive wiki, the setting should support that endeavor rather than making more stuff(TM pending) for stuffs sake. This is why i think this should be a collaborative effort between storytellers and the setting manager (and delegates). Tagging a new wiki to a plot, with links, would help new users navigate the setting elements relevant to the story they would like to join.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Sun May 05, 2019 6:20 pm

Duly noted.

I will leave this discussion open until the evening of Wednesday the 8th, HST, and afterwards we'll decide what to do in an official way.
Ham
Staff
Staff

Post by Ham » Sun May 05, 2019 7:59 pm

I, for one, agree with Bullroarer. Plain and simple. The entire community on this site is fragile and has always been. Some stuff never gets used more than twice is some cases and if we just continue to add to that list we'll begin to make just building things the new status quo. I, at least, came here with the intention of writing stories and while life has begun to make that much harder to do at this moment I still intend for it to happen.

Do not take this as me saying no to this nation in any respects, but this article needs more than what is currently there. The most important thing I see in this is we need at the very least a generic history section to try and base something on. Without that it will be hard if not nigh impossible to write for or with beyond starting at the very first moment of its existence. When I made the Kaiserreich, I gave it a history before I numbered how many worlds and how many people it contained. And while I am currently restructuring said history for the sake of a story, it also will explain why it only has reappeared on the political scales within the last two years as opposed to its almost one-thousand year existence.

Existence itself is a story, don't be afraid to spend a day or two creating their epic.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Sun May 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Discussion on this will be re-opened based on the five criteria outlined in the new Wiki Workshop Temp. Submission Process.

URL = https://www.shattered-universe.com/doku ... _new_terra
  1. Article contains a species very similar to one already in setting. This should be explained.
  2. Article is unfinished. The article should at least contain some cultural notes, some history, and an explination of its governmental system similar to what can be found in other nations. Some good Examples: https://www.shattered-universe.com/doku ... on:kowloon ; https://www.shattered-universe.com/doku ... ion:taipan ; https://www.shattered-universe.com/doku ... _of_ersetu
  3. I find it difficult to believe that an undiscovered species of this magnitude has gone unnoticed by the spacefaring natives. Please reduce your faction's numbers to something more reasonable, if you want to keep your species' undiscovered status. I highly recommend you start smaller.
On these grounds, Submission Denied.

Please work on this and get back to us by contacting a wiki moderator after you have made appropriate edits.