Discussion of Lore... things. Stuff?

Build onto the existing setting or add new facets to the setting here: new races, factions, technology, etc.
Charlie Pavolav
Ensign
Ensign

Discussion of Lore... things. Stuff?

Post by Charlie Pavolav » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:23 pm

There are a lot of people that are just getting into the swing of RP. Many of them, from all places, are unfamiliar with how storytellers (hereby referred to as GMs) are supposed to work, act and otherwise function. With no set system in place it is largely up to the GM in question to provide an analysis of what could, should and will happen.

Now I am aware that there are concerns with a DR system and no one wants the hassle of using or implementing a dice system. Thusly; I am not proposing one. We implement an extremely simple system to make things fair and give guidance not only to players but to new GMs.

In the Megalith Universe, weapons are given a very general but effective balancing system. Armor stops kinetic rounds (such as bullets), energy shields stop energy weapons (lasers, plasma, etc), electronics can be thwarted by EMP, missiles are multi-purpose but expensive to use with torpedoes following the same rules, magic is generally put into a category that makes it an energy weapon (by mechanical system of the game only), kinetic weapon or otherwise; making things easy to balance.

Following in similar fashion, I am proposing the same concept here; a basic (extremely basic) system that allows GMs a basic guide to running their games and allows a player a guide to easily follow along or even to make corrections if need be. Thusly, the concept proposed is as follows:

Lasers will be considered as main-stream weaponry; being the basis on damage, range, etc for all other weapons to be effectively balanced. This said, lasers should also have the most counters (even if they are rudimentary such as ablative plating or other such things).

Plasma should be considered anti-armor and should do a lot of damage but generate a lot of heat as a result since it IS an energy weapon. Thusly its rate of fire should be relatively limited.

Kinetic weaponry should be relatively cheap, have the least counters (as far as stopping the weapon from firing, having the weapon’s projectile stopped mid-flight, etc) but be the least effective. Railguns, chemrails, gauss guns, coilguns and similar weaponry of course increases this effectiveness.

Missiles should be expensive but effective as missiles are (in effect) projectile weapons until the munition detonates. However, missiles are relatively slow compared to all other forms of weaponry and thusly should have the most countermeasures (point defense, interception, kill-screens, etc). Torpedoes should follow this same rule with the two weapon types having largely different roles (torpedoes are generally more expensive but are better for attacking large vessels, missiles are generally less expensive and far more effective at bombarding a planet, etc).

Explosives such as hand grenades should generally follow the rules of missiles and torpedoes but on a much smaller scale.

Vehicles should be used in their respective environments; IE a mecha should probably be used someplace where the vulnerability of legs is mitigated or lessened. Tanks are poor in use when used in an urban environment but are obviously the kings of open field battles until aerial vehicles are brought into question. Aerials usually have far, far less armor due to the need to be lightweight unless they are large capital ships incapable of entering into an atmosphere (which thusly means that they are normally not applicable to these rules).

Notes:

There are dozens of other such concepts that can be applied and that this concept can be applied. This is a basic concept that is meant to inspire discussion and thought to the setting.

This concept should be treated as a draft; not a final solution.

The purpose of this solution is to provide a tool to players, GMs and moderators so that fair play can be implemented with basic guidelines to assist GMs running their campaigns and to assist players to understand the setting.
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Discussion of Lore... things. Stuff?

Post by CadetNewb » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:16 pm

First and foremost, a storyteller is going to tell the story your characters are taking part in much like a GM. The big difference though, is that we're not going to be running off any number systems or even hard rules. Though items in the wiki will be the general guide, the storyteller has discretion to bend the facts a bit. If a player has questions as to what will be portrayed how, they can just ask.

Just as importantly, we came from a site that was far too bureaucratic and restrictive. We had people rules lawyering, and otherwise using the word of law for their own ends rather than following the spirit of the law, especially in regards to damage ratings. DR systems are verboten for that reason. That's why we prefer that articles for individual weapons, ships, armor and so forth simply describe what they can and cannot do directly. More importantly, I do not think the system you are suggesting is suitable for the site either, as it is also too restrictive. Going by your own example, plasma weapons would be slow firing, anti armor weapons. We would not be able to have fast firing automatic plasma repeaters, explosive anti-infantry plasma weapons, or plasma beam weapons. This level of restrictiveness is just not going to work.

Instead, making things individually and showing them to people for feedback is ideal as it maintains flexibility. Also, we do have a technology guide article that you can look at. It was made with this flexibility in mind, and outlines the general ballpark that RP falls in.
Charlie Pavolav
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Charlie Pavolav » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:33 am

As stated before; this is to be considered a rough draft and not a final solution. I am not proposing introducing strict rules into the setting; just a guideline for those whom are new.

For example, all the information is on the wiki; I'll grant that. However, until I started RPing I had no idea what to search. I didn't know the Great Houses of Reservoir existed and would have never known to type them into the search bar.

What I am suggesting isn't the implementation of a DR system or a dice system. What I am proposing is a base-line that provides a "this is the typical behavior of this class of weapon/armor/etc." that storytellers can use as a basis to found their ideas and concepts which gives the players something to follow along with.

I'm all for creative freedom but we have players that need to work with their storytellers and storytellers that need to work with their players. This is already an issue that is hard to deal with even in systems that use relatively restrictive rules such as D&D, Shadowrun, Rifts or any number of tabletop games. I feel the issue is compounded without a base-line description that says something along the lines of "overall, this is how things work" such as a laser being ineffective against an ablative layer of protective armor. It's not to say that a weapon of that class can't be an exception or deviate from that ruling... it's to say that "this is normal, this will be considered atypical of the standard". That way, players can read one wiki article and have a general understanding of the technology, culture and lore of the setting and THEN subsequently dive into the rest of the lore.

To use an analogy; what I am suggesting is akin to a shallow end of the pool for new swimmers to explore before they jump into the deep end.
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CadetNewb » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:54 pm

If that's the sort of information you're looking for, stuff to introduce you into the setting, could you list them out? As a new player, your experience coming in is very helpful since it lets us know what needs working on.
Charlie Pavolav
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Charlie Pavolav » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:57 am

I think the primary focus should be creating a rough idea of what is in the setting in the form of a synopsis. From my time here, I know that there are plasma weapons, lasers, bullets, missiles and other such weaponry. But that took time to learn which was mostly learned by asking about a topic, getting an answer, reading an article or two on the wiki and then subsequently asking more questions.

This is inefficient because often times wiki articles will answer some questions but then open many others.

In short: I propose the opening page of the wiki (aside from the home page) be something akin to a table of contents as will be detailed below. This, as everything in this forum, should be considered a rough draft and not a final copy.

(Header)

(Category: [Nations])
• Houses of Reservoir
• The Alliance
• The Kaiserreich
• Etc.

(Category: [Weapons])

• Kinetic
• Laser
• Missile
• Plasma
• Other
• Etc.

With this table in mind; there are many topics that would need to be linked to this particular table and it is firmly understood that this is no small task. However, with a page such as this navigation upon the wiki can not only operate more smoothly but can also support a generalized concept of what the setting has, what things do, how they operate on a basic fundamental level and much more.

This table can also be used to show what does what in the universe simply by adding tags. For example; let’s assume the Alliance’s primary advantage over other nations is their ability to turn matter to energy and vice versa. This can easily be stated in a ‘TL;DR’ number of bullet points below the hyperlink that leads to the greater page which in turn means that people can find what they are interested in exploring much more quickly as well as getting into the meat of the lore much faster.

This also means that storytellers can, in short, use this page as a quick-reference to determine the bottom line fundamentals of every piece of equipment via generalizing the equipment. Though there will always be exceptions and deviations from this rule (IE; a conventional gunpowder weapon and a railgun function on the same basic principles but are widely different in the methods to achieve this) but it provides a guideline to follow which improves creativity as RPers find ways to work within the guidelines which ultimately provides them more direction as writers and improves flow.
CadetNewb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CadetNewb » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:56 pm

Information on the nations can be found on the left sidebar of the wiki's front page. I'll likely double back to further detailing the genral uses and potential roles of various different weapon types, but considering your feedback, not before I make portrayal guides for some of the nations first so players get a good idea of how to go about that.